We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

I want to watch DVd's on my lap top during the flight. Virgin Atlantic have confirmed that I will have access to a USB power point. Will there be enough power? Do I need to take my battery out so it will run direct and not charge, it says it offers 110 which sounds enough. Which are the best USB cables to use.Any tips appreciated.

16 sleeps YAY

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

I think some of the information I am looking at is wrong, I cannot get 110 from a USB port

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

The vast majority of laptops require 110/220v power to keep going on a flight this long, and some planes provide this, others don't. Tablets, smartphones, e-readers will work off USB power, along with a limited number of very small laptops.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

>>>I think some of the information I am looking at is wrong<<<

Nope, you've just misunderstood.

USB is low voltage and runs , phones, ipads etc. it is not 110v

110v is available but comes from a seperate outlet and is the standard value in the USA, whereas the UK/EU are230v.

Most laptops run on either 230 or 110, have a read at label on the back to confirm. I do not know of any laptop that runs on USB power . . . . but I'm old, and they may be out there

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

I thought the same as you, JockBossBob, until I saw a very small (10 inch screen) laptop last weekend. The only way of charging it was via USB.

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

Darn it, so what would be the best way of watching a DVD?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,579 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

How long does your laptop last from fully charged?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

Get an adapter to plug into the 110v - all the power in the USA is 110v, so just how do you intend to use your laptop while you are there?

Secondly, I just turned my laptop over to read the label - DOH!! - My laptop has a power supply which provides the low voltage to the laptop. The label is on the power supply ;-) [mine reads 100v-250v so it would work]

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,572 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

I'm a technophobe so those voltage numbers and much else sails right past me. However, I've not been on a plane recently that's set up for long haul and has power outlets that can be reached from my seat (not all aircraft models or airlines seem to have these easily reached by every seat in economy) that I cannot plug a device into to use it. I don't watch movies, whether downloaded or from a DVD, so much as play games or read books from my device, so there is a possibility that may make a difference, of course.

What most of these power outlets cannot do and are not designed to do is to be use for charging a device.

I thought a USB cable was a USB cable, but what do I know?!

This might shed more light:

https:/…laptop-power.html

SWT

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,430 posts
2,300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

For the last few years I have put movies in the memory card of a tablet and watch it that way. Then you know that the tablet can be recharged via the USB port.

Holyhead, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic Manchester-Orlando Boeing 747

Currently looking at getting a portable DVD, but they seem to be mainly the cigarette type charges, not USB. So long battery life or replaceable battery. When did life get so complicated