We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meals on British Airways long haul flights

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Meals on British Airways long haul flights

Read about BA replacing its 2nd meal with a small bar of chocolate on its long haul economy flights. Our family of 2 adults & 2 children will be using BA on economy this coming December:

Departure flight Kuala Lumpur to London 13 hrs 40mins, midnight flight & eta 5am+ LHR.

Return flight London to Singapore 12 hrs 50mins, night flight eta Singapore in the afternoon.

Kind of sucks if only 1 full meal is provided on such a long flight.

Does anyone know if a 2nd meal is served or just a bar of choc as mentioned when I goggled?

Thanks in advance & Cheers!

17 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

That one should be fine . . .

It was the shorter long hauls, such as LHR-JFK and around the 7hr mark. the feed back from longer trips - 10hrs or so - was that they still got 2 meals . . . . But I'd still load up with snacks and not expect too much ;-) All short hauls from LHR & LGW on BA are now Buy on Board,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,265 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

With flight times as you mention you will be offered two hot meals, definitely not the snack basket for the second meal.

You'll be offered a hot breakfast before arrival to LHR, and I suspect may be offered dinner shortly after departure even at that late hour. For the return flight with a departure around 2130 you'll be offered a drink then a hot dinner. With the arrival in SIN in late afternoon I don't know if the airline will offer breakfast before that arrival or lunch, but it should be a hot offering in any event.

Crew will pass through the cabin with trays of water and juice after lights out on both flights, but if you'd like something else to drink just go to the galley and ask for it.

Presron, England
Level Contributor
49 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

from experience, even with two meals, eat before you fly - the portions are very small & by the time you arrive you will be very hungry!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
24,601 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

As explained above, on those longer flights, you will still get 2 full, hot meals on your flight. So you would not starve, but those with healthy appetites who are not fussy eaters even then may not feel that full.

However, you mention you are travelling with children and they might be a bit fussier, of find the times of meal service awkward. Thus, I'd recommend that you consider taking some suitable snacks with you, either to give you something to munch on during a long flight (even if overnight), or for the kids in case they find nothing they care for or get peckish at odd times. By suitable snacks, I'd suggest nothing too perishable or smelly!

I also agree with the suggestion to eat before flying as airport food is generally tastier than airline food because flying affects your taste buds, as well.

SWT

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

Thanks for the heads-up everyone, much appreciated

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

Me and my 19 years son will be flying to Manchester from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia departing at 23:55 local time on 24Jan18 and arriving Lodon at 5:35 on 25Jan18 - 13 hours 40 minutes later.The stopover at London is 2 hours 30 minutes before leaving at 8:05 for Manchester and arriving at 9:05 am.

Wonder what are the meals available for this flight?

Dinner on departure Kuala Lumpur and breakfast on arrival London? Any in between snacks?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

I doubt they will serve snacks in between the 2meals on an overnight flight. They will be expecting most to go to sleep.

If you think you need snacks during the night, I’d nring them with you.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,273 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

In my experience of flying with them, they deliver snacks to you whether you ask for them or not. Have frequently woken up to find little “presents” on the tray table. If you want anything else just go to the galley area and ask. Same if you didn’t get enough to eat. Because they offer you alternatives at meal times, there are often a few left over. If you don’t ask, you don’t get!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8,761 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

Just buy a few sandwiches, packs of biscuits/crisps for when the hunger pangs strike. They won't go to waste.

san francisco
Level Contributor
812 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meals on British Airways long haul flights

I recently flew San Francisco to London got one main meal they handed out a snack box later on.

Edited: 23 January 2018, 01:04
Reply to: Meals on British Airways long haul flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted