We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Transat

Level Contributor
32 posts
205 reviews
Air Transat

I am considering flying to London with Air Transat, I used them in 2008 to Paris on a vacation deal flight and hotel. It was bad, cramped seating very limited entertainment on overhead screens!! it was so hard to see I just tried to sleep.

My question is has it improved? The reviews are all over the place and of course if the travelers are inexperienced then what are they comparing it with?

I have travelled all over the world and on both major and discount airlines, my concern is quality for price? I took a discount to Hawaii and realized that a 6 hr. flight had no drinks snacks without paying!

I would have paid the extra for a major that had that.

I would probably fly club class for the comfort so would like anyone that has done that to reply.

Entertainment, meals, what's included, and comfort, preferably compared to a major.

17 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Air Transat

Flown club 3 times this month to and fromGatwick. The last on Thursday. The seats are bigger and more comfortable. Lots of leg room. Individual seat back IFE. Comfort packages. Dedicated bathroom. Only 12 seats in club class and dedicated flight attendant. 2 cases at 32kg each allowed and increased hand luggage weight allowance. Priority check in, boarding and priority luggage. Meals served the old fashioned way on china and as much booze as you can drink in real glasses !!!!. I really like the product and fly as often as I can afford. Probably wouldn't bother for a shorter flight but long haul is comfortable. Probably not as good as business class, haven't been able to afford that but better than some PE I've flown in.

Terry

Edited: 03 April 2017, 03:02
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,192 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Air Transat

If the discount is more than the cost of food and beverages on board, then really you are still coming out ahead.

It's all about matching expectations.

Standard Transat is no better and probably worse now that it was years ago.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Air Transat

I am flying Air Transat economy to London in June so I am not sure how much help I can be but I can give my thoughts.

I looked at the other major airlines which all go into Heathrow. I got Option Plus both ways from Toronto to London and even still it was 500 dollars cheaper than the other options.

The way I look at it, an airplane is a means to an end. It is a mode of transport between two distances across the Atlantic. It made no sense to pay the extra 500 dollars when BA, AIr Canada and Air Transat all go to London.

If you get option plus everything is included.

Level Contributor
32 posts
205 reviews
4. Re: Air Transat

Thanks that's what I was hoping for. I know it wont come up to business class standard but way cheaper so sounds well worth it .

Thanks again

Level Contributor
32 posts
205 reviews
5. Re: Air Transat

I have to calculate the difference, economy with Air Canada is $100 more, so that's $50 each way, a lot of food can be purchased for that price I think, but is the comfort and entertainment equal?

Thank you for your incite I will consider it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Air Transat

Keep in mind, Air Transat goes into Gatwick NOT Heathrow which is why it is so much cheaper. Not a big difference but it does add to the travel time as Gatwick is just outside London (like Pearson is to Toronto)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Air Transat

If you have only 100 dollars difference go with Air Canada. It will bring you into Heathrow and the quality of the flight is better.

Level Contributor
32 posts
205 reviews
8. Re: Air Transat

Wow if I was looking at $500 difference I would agree, but I found Air Canada to be only $100 more on the dates I want and if I got Option Plus at &129.00 Air Transat would be more!

I agree with you on airplanes, if short routes, as I have used Ryanair in Europe and Jetstar in Southeast Asia, but on long hauls the saving must justify the inconvenience.. An 8 or 9 hr. flight can ruin a short little vacation if its rather unbearable!

Thank you maybe I got lucky on Air Canada and should book before price increases

Level Contributor
32 posts
205 reviews
9. Re: Air Transat

Wow nice to know, I have only flown to Heathrow and never considered the commute into London.

Now I must check on transport, I was going to grab a metro pass an use it to get into the city, I think it's call the Oyster pass? I will now check into that and travel time from each airport.

Thank you very much, shows how a little preplanning can go a long ways.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Air Transat

Not a problem. The Oyster card will get you from Heathrow and Gatwick into Central London. There are 3 trains running from Gatwick to London. Those trains are the Gatwick Express, Southern and Thameslink. They go to different railway stations in London, stop at different places etc so best to check which would be best for you. I recommend avoiding the Gatwick Express as it is overpriced compared to the other trains.

From Heathrow you can take the Heathrow Express or the Piccadilly Line into Central London.

Either way I wish you all the best.

One key thing, AVOID the Visitor Oyster card. You can get regular ones at the airport and they are more functional than a visitor oyster.

Reply to: Air Transat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted