We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

Greater Manchester...
4 posts
Save Topic
Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

Hi,

I'm planning to travel to the US.

I have dual nationality (U.K. And Iranian) but lived in the U.K. All my life. I have been to Iran on numerous occasions throughout my childhood, the last being approx 3 years ago.

Do I need a visa or just an ESTA?

Any help appreciated :-)

Thanks

Sam

15 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,157 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

You can apply for an ESTA but your Iranian visits and passport may make them deny you.

We canNOT tell you that for sure. They may deny you a VISA too, who knows??Especially now when Iranians are at the moment prevented from traveling here unless the courts stop our president's latest efforts.

Canada
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

Do you have 2 passports?

Greater Manchester...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

I do...although my Iranian passport has ran out.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,449 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

Do you have any Iranian stamps on your UK passport?

You need to check with the latest rules on the CPB website, but I think even with a UK passport and no such stamps, you will need a visa at best. Any trip to Iran more recent than 2011 prevents you from using an ESTA. You may actually not be allowed in at all, regrettably!

Oh, and most immigration authorities share info these days, so you don't need stamps in whichever passport you use for the knowledge that you have visited Iran recently to be visible to immigration in USA.

SWT

Edited: 13 March 2017, 00:55
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

A Swedish friend who was born in Iran (and left as a baby before the revolution) has had to get a 10-year multiple-entry US visa as he's been declared an Iranian in the eyes of DHS. If you have a "clean" British passport with a British place of birth, you might be OK. But I foresee a trip to the Embassy coming up.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

You need a visa.

Under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 any VWP national who has visited Iran (as well as Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen) on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country) are not eligible for the VWP, regardless of whether they are dual citizens or not. Also dual citizens of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria are not eligible for the VWP.

https:/…visa-waiver-program.html

The above mentioned Act was signed into law by President Obama, and has nothing to do with the current President's travel orders.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

You need a visa

Make sure to have your military exception evidence with you, as they might ask you to prove it, during your interview. If you are eligible, then they will give you a 10 years multiple entry.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,553 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

bobtyson...this question was answered 5 months ago. Have a look at the post above yours.

Edited: 05 August 2017, 16:27
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,598 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

bobtyson,

Welcome to the forums.

It's a good habit to get into of checking dates before replying - to see either when the OP (Original Poster) submitted the question; or when the last time the thread was active.

Some threads can be resurrected by spammers.

I tend to use the drop down option and set it with 'newest' at the top, so I can see the current conversation quickly.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)

The OP is ineliglbe for visa waiver and must get a visa to visit the US.

Under the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).

Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria.

Reply to: Visa or esta for travel to US (Uk Iranian dual nationality)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted