We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

I bought an airplane ticket from Trinidad to Copenhagen on KIWI.COM. It involved three flights - all low-cost airlines. I missed the second airplane although I could not have made it faster. The plane I arrived with were delayed and the following departure had been rescheduled. The airline had planned this for a month but KIWI.COM never informed me about it. The check-in counter was closed and I stranded in Toronto late at night.

I called KIWI.COM and asked for help. They wanted me to mail evidence of the errors before they would help me. I tried to contact the airlines, but could not get in touch with anyone because of the late hour. I called several times to KIWI.COM (almost 100 EURO due. roaming charges). I ended up paying food, a hotel room and a new, EXPENSIVE flight the following night. I also had to pay for an extra day off at work and did not sleep for two whole days. My vacation was ruined.

When I got home I wrote to KIWI.COM again asking them to at least pay for my expenses. 38 days later I finally got this answer (after asking numerous times):

"We are truly sorry about the inconveniences you've had. We find, however, that you had enough time to reach the plane. We understand your frustations and assure you that we care for our customers. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us 24/7 via chat, email or phone".

I bought the tickets on KIWI.COM because they were cheap. That decision turned out to be a VERY EXPENSIVE. And ruining my vacation... I strongly advise against buying travels and flights from this fraudulent company, KIWI.COM.

Facts:

- KIWI.COMS algorithms automatically composes flights from various low-cost airlines, that DO NOT COORDINATE rescheduling of departures.

- KIWI.COM (based in Slovakia) changed it's name in fall 2016 after only 4 years as SKYPICKERS

- Seach on the internet reveals massive amount of complaints from unsatisfied customers: cancelled/rescheduled flights, no returns, arrogant customer service

- See the many comments to postings on their facebook page (which is closed for customer postings BTW...)

217 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

<< I strongly advise against buying travels and flights>>

As do the many, many similar stories posted here; best to check before, not after......

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

Yes the regulars on here all know about Kiwi.com and their shonky practices, and that their "guarantee" has so many strings attached it's as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Pity you were careless and didn't search on here or other sites for reviews BEFORE giving them your money.

You do realize they and other shonky third party bookers are only in business because of careless people like you, right?

Edited: 17 December 2016, 15:41
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

You are wrong, I'm not careless. But I trust in people until proven wrong. And kiwi.com is a crap company that does not keep its promises. Let's expose them as much as possible,

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,033 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

I'd say it's careless giving your money to someone without researching them first. There are already plenty of other warnings out there, don't you think that's enough exposure? You aren't the first and won't be the last to get caught out like this.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,471 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

"Seach on the internet reveals massive amount of complaints from unsatisfied customers: cancelled/rescheduled flights, no returns, arrogant customer service"

Why on earth didn't you do that before handing over money - you saw cheap and just went click, click, buy and you have to take responsibility for your decisions.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

You are wrong, I'm not careless. But I trust in people until proven wrong.

=======

By that comment you're charitable. You gave some company your money out of charity, and giving money for charity gives you no recourse to getting it back. But now you want it back and are crying "scam" - and yes they are shonky - which means you weren't being charitable in the first place. You were careless.

And my posts aren't just directed at you. They're for people that do actually research bookers before flying and see countless "WARNING..." titles. My posts are confirming what you stated, and that those looking at Kiwi shouldn't be as careless as you were.

Edited: 17 December 2016, 16:31
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,184 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

Not only are you careless (almost by definition) but complicit in keeping garbage like this going.

The genuinely careful would see through kiwi in a nanosecond and the careless, like yourself will never find - or look for - a warning in the first place. Like you didn't.

UK
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

OP - thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your tale of woe. I'm sorry to see that this thread seems to have degenerated into an argument about the definition of "carelessness". Reading between the lines I think you're only too aware that you didn't do your homework before booking your flight and that you've learnt your lesson, so I think it's a bit sad that people are continuing to add insult to injury.

Now... how about trying to see if there is something that can be done about this?

The fact that Kiwi.com are in another EU country should not really matter as far as taking them to court is concerned... or so I thought, until I found this:

consumereurope.dk/Complaints/European-Small-…

Denmark is the ONLY EU country that does not take part in the European Small Claims Procedure. However, Danish residents have the option of using a court in another country, which (assuming you're in or near Copenhagen) shouldn't be too difficult to do as all you'd have to do is jump on a train across the bridge.

The question is... do you have a case? And I think the answer is "possibly", depending on the amount of mis-selling that took place.

What was the route? (Trinidad to Toronto to *Somehwere* to Copenhagen - where is "somewhere"?). What were the airlines involved? How much time would you have at at YYZ originally (before Flight 2 got rescheduled), and how much time were you left with after the rescheduling?

Also, the fact that kiwi.com didn't inform you about the rescheduling could be relevant. (What have they got to say about that?)

Another thing... did you pay by credit card? If so you may want to consider a chargeback. They will dispute it, but you're in a much better position if the money is in your account and not theirs.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

Thanks for being helpful Aviatrix.

The route was from Trinidad - Toronto - London - Copenhagen.

Airlines: Caribbean Airlines, WestJet, EasyJet

Originally I had 2 h 30 min in YYZ (Toronto) before next departure. WestJet has 60 min cutoff at checkin which leaves me with 1 h 30 min to complete check-in. As I was flying with different airlines I had to get my bags, go through the airport and to terminal 3 (international) and check-in my bags again. The ticket clearly states that online check-in was not possible. So I had to physically wait at the baggage band. And that took a loooong time. The plane was 11 min late (I got this info at the airport information desk next day, Caribbean Airlines won't confirm it. They keep saying that the plane was one hour early, which is rubbish of course...). Also getting out of the plane took a long time. Finally there was much delay at the customs, propably because there weren't many officers on duty late saturday evening.

The rescheduling was only 15 min. So with the 11 min delay I had exactly 2 h 4 min before next departure.

Kiwi.com has admitted that they did not inform me about the rescheduling. They write that "we are very sorry for the inconveniences that it has caused for me" and that's it. This is why I call them arrogant.

I did pay with credit card. I used my VISA card. I heard that there are some kind of insurance when buying with MasterCard. But unfortunately I only have my VISA card.

So what is your thoughts about this information provided here?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,644 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.

<<The route was from Trinidad - Toronto - London - Copenhagen.

Airlines: Caribbean Airlines, WestJet, EasyJet>>

By the sounds of it you were travelling on separate tickets so you have no come back on the airlines. You bear all the risk when travelling on separate tickets.

As the buyer it is your responsibility to check out exactly what you are buying. AFAIK Kiwi.com are notorious at selling separate tickets.

You find TA after you travelled, it's a great shame you didn't do it before as you'd have found out the pitfalls of separate tickets and booking with Kiwi.

Note to yourself, "before I buy anything online check out the seller first".

Reply to: WARNING: Don't buy travels or air tickets from KIWI.COM.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted