We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overseas Adventure Travel

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Overseas Adventure Travel

I just joined this forum and hope you can assist me. I know 2 people who have taken several trips with this small group travel company, and they recommend it highly. However, I found conversations on the web in which people who trveled with this group indicated they had horrible experiences and that tour leaders were not helpful in resolving problems. They complained of long rides in small buses. I checked BBB - it indicates there have been 89 complaints registered in the last 3 years, few of which were satisfactorily closed. I realize that some travelers are just complainers, or they sign up for a trip that isnt appropriate for their expectations. Can anyone help me with some unbiased feedback on this company? We're thinking of trying it as an alternative to Classic Journeys - which was a WONDEFUL small group walking tour company experience, but a bit pricey for us.

1. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 19:41
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
420 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Hi Winkie9.

We have traveled extensively with OAT, and are loyal fans of theirs. I agree with VanFromNam about the quality of the tour guides that we have had. Our tour guides have always been fantastic - adding so very much to our travel experiences. Depending on where you travel to, included meals have been from satisfactory to very good. On our very recent tour to South Africa with OAT in December, the included meals were very good - some being excellent. Our tour guide added several added stops to our tour. He even took us to his mother's classroom in Johannesburg where we were able to have a very informative discussion with her students. He also changed the order of the tour in Capetown, since on our first day there it was cloudy and cold on Table Mountain. He postponed our Table Mountain visit until our last day in Capetown, when we were able to take the cable car up to the top and enjoy warm sunny weather there. (He is from Capetown, and had an excellent knowledge of weather patterns there.)

We have already booked our next tour with OAT - to Argentina and Chile - for late September. I also agree that OAT tours are a great value. That is why we can afford to travel with them frequently. The hotels used are almost always small locally owned hotels, rather than hotels belonging to big chains. The rooms have always been good - always with private baths. The hotels often have pools and many other amenities.

If you look at the number of tours and departure dates offered, the number of complaints is a very small percentage of the people traveling with OAT - and there are always some people who find something to complain about.

We love the small tour groups - max 16 people. We have never had more than 15 people on our tours, and once there were only 11 people.

Grand Cayman
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Nice to see this post..

Thanks for providing wonderful information..

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Thank you , that was helpful! We loved staying in the higher qulity hotels with Classica Journeys, because they also were locally owned by families and gave a real sense of being 'in country' vs. chain hotels. However, since you only sleep in the hotel, we have to ask ourselves whether its really worth the higher price. It DOES add to the experience, but the even better experience is out and about with the people, culture and guide... Another difference is that Classic Journeys includes almost all meals and all tips, all baggage ehandling...everything is pretty much paid for in advance. It does NOT include airfare....

Delaware
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Very helpful - we'll probably take the plunge and see what we think! I do get the impression that they spend less time 'on the ground' and perhaps a tad more time in a bus....we spent a lot of time walking locally at each locale with the tour company we used before. We really enjoyed that, but the toss-up is that we covered less territory....

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
420 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Winkie. OAT tours are very active with lots of walking and hiking if available. Expect a very busy tour if you decide to go with them.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I'm looking at OAT's trip to Chile & Tierra del Fuego and have a few questions about the OAT groups. How does the group interact with a solo traveler? Are they inclusive or clique-ish? I've never traveled solo for longer than a week, and I want to be sure that OAT will be a good fit.

Thanks for any feedback.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
420 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

There are usually quite a few singles on a tour. The least that we have had on an OAT tour is three. The singles normally mingle with everyone else while on tour - couples and other singles. There has never been any exclusion on the OAT tours that we have been on.

OAT seems to be making a concerted effort to appeal to singles - with special deals and a discussion board on their website.

Go for it!

cocoa beach, florida
Level Contributor
75 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

I have spent most of my life traveling on my own to common and exotic locations, so when I chose to go on my first tour with Grand Circle, who is affiliated with OAT, to China, I was wary. It was absolutely amazing. Our guide was wonderful and went out of the way to make this trip special for everyone. We have planned a trip with OAT to Machu Picchu, and we anticipate that it will be every bit as wonderful as our China trip. I enjoy visiting with the local people and having the opportunity to learn their culture. I also don't care about staying in five star hotels when I am traveling to other countries. I highly recommend Grand Circle/OAT.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
38 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overseas Adventure Travel

Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to the trip.

Get answers to your questions