This is a lovely hotel in a quaint historic town about 3/4 of an hour from Funchal!
The only negatives are no tea making facilities that brits are used to in the room and the pool tepid and the sauna and steam room not working and no instructions! Yes I could have asked but then would have to wait for things to heat up!!!
Great hotel right on the ocean with great rooms, comfortable beds, great service, ocean views and pool. Breakfast included, consisting of wonderful dishes, vegetables, exotic fruits, natural juices and all kinds of drinks. Staying at this hotel is worth it.
Overall we had an excellent 2 night stay at the Enotel Baia. Rooms are large and comfortable. Excellent full breakfast, including omelettes and pancakes to order. Lots of fresh fruit. There is a swimming pool in the lobby which is moderately swimmable. Parking in the underground garage is challenging when largely full. Surprisingly there is no coffee maker in the rooms, but some are available upon request
We were really impressed right after the arrival. Quick check-in, beautiful, spacious room with ocean view. Would be great if someone left something for us from dinner (we arrived at 21:30, the dinner finished at 21), knowing we won't manage to be on time, but okay, we survived somehow.
During our stay everyone was quite helpful, though no one ever repaired the AC (which turned itself off after 15 minutes, even if we were in the room) - but we got a fan instead. We asked for the car rental, the usual hotel company didn't have any, and the reception just quit (instead of suggesting us some other company). But it's 21st century, so again - we managed.
Amazing breakfasts, with fresh fruit. Decent dinners (though it's better to eat out). Great fluffy white towels in the room and clean sheets.
We didn't use the pool.
Sun terrace at the roof - good idea to read.
And now two things that don't let me give 5* here:
- just in front of our windows there was a beach restaurant, where they started cooking around 11 am and all day long it smelled (not necessarily nice); so opening the windows didn't make sense
- on the last day a HUGE cockroach was walking around the bathroom, I've never seen such a large insect; when we started looking around we found two more in the bathroom and several dead around the hotel entrance - please, do something with it.
There are many things I like about this hotel:
1) It's clean (and it's the most important thing for me)
2) It offers delicious breakfast buffet (great variety of cold cuts, cheese, cereal, cake, fruits & veggies, bread, warm dishes like beans, sausages, fresh pancakes and omelette, coffee, tea and juices)
3) It has wonderful location - far from Funchal, in a small town, right in front of the ocean. So if you are looking for a good place to rest, listen to ocean waves after you finish your trekking - this place is for you. But you will need a car, it would be extremely hard or at least uncomfortable to travel without it.
What I didn't like about the hotel is:
1) Parking - there is free underground car park but it's on first come-first served basis and it's quite small so sometimes there was no place for us and we had to park in a tunnel nearby (which is smelly and very unpleasant). The parking has no signs showing that it's full so you need to drive inside and then somehow get outside without any place to turn around and with a very steep and curvy driveway...
2) There is a pool in the... lobby area. It's a rather strange arrangement so no wonder nobody used it during our 7-nights stay. I can't imagine sitting by the pool or swimming while people were checking-in/out or waiting for their shuttle just next to me. Plus the whole lobby area is rather hot and moisty because of the pool.
3) It's a 4* hotel with no iron or kettle/coffee set in a room. Very basic accommodation. The rooms are big though, and clean, and with sea view so this lack of basic amenities can be forgiven.
4) If you want to use a safe your need to pay extra - in a 4* hotel! In Europe. Really?