Location - The place is centrally located where it is just a few steps away from Gulhane Parks (we really enjoyed the beautiful garden will full of flowers especially tulip and roses), surrounding with a lot of attraction (Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, etc) and very near to tram station (Gulhane Park). Taxi or Uber are also everywhere at all times.
Room - We rented 2 bed apartment for a week. It is comfortable enough space for us 2 adult and 3 kids and complete with furniture and cooking equipment. All equipment worked well. The owner helped to arrange our laundry with reasonable price everyday during our stay. The owner also very helpful where he arranged to pick up/send us from/to the airport. He can be reachable at any times whenever we need.
Environment - Quite busy during day, and quite at night.
Overall - Excellent, we will surely repeat our stay at this apartment if we were to visit Istanbul again.
I chosen this hotel as my daughter & wife are crazy admirer of Ottoman empire & topkapi palace. Stayed here 3 nights to tour the sultanahmet area attractions & the rest of istanbul. Booked one bedroom suite, had a living room, which was perfect for the kids, having satellite TV. Also gulhane park is nearby. The manager, Ali, was very helpful. Also the female attendant, Sultan, turns very helpful; we used her services to cook traditional local foods for us, a great experience which one can't found at restaurants.
We stayed in the 2br family apartment #4 on the first floor of Gulhane Suites. The free pick-up from Ataturk airport and transfer to the apartment was greatly appreciated. The apartment is in a fantastic location - as noted by others it's opposite the Gulhane park and an easy walk to most of the Sultanamet attractions.
The apartment is also very nice in terms of light, airy and spacious.
In terms of contributing to the reviews from others, unfortunately there are some (hopefully) short-term issues with the apartment in terms of maintenance:
- The dressing table in the kids room is not secured to the wall, so a small child could easily pull this over on top of themselves and be severely hurt.
- The wall near the door has a large patch, which needs sanding and painting
- Most of the kitchen cupboards had broken doors,
- The shower rose was barely hanging from the wall fitting,
- And there were exposed wires in the bathroom.
- And as noted by others there needs to be bedside lights in the master bedroom
Each of these things could be easily fixed with a couple of hours from a professional tradesman, so hopefully the next reviewer will confirm these things have been resolved.
- While there is plenty of street noise (especially during Ramadan in the evening) this was ok and died down at a reasonable hour, but I did find the noise from the construction site next door to be a real problem - the workers were still clearing rubble at 5am on Sunday morning, having worked all through the night. Not sure why, but their wheel barrow seemed to have an especially squeeky wheel which drove me nuts every 15mins when they emptied it again!
- The apartment is described on the Gulhane website as having a 'fully equipped kitchen' however this is grossly misleading. There is a quite poorly equipped 'kitchenette' which has a kettle, microwave, small fridge and wobbly electric 2-burner hot plate. With no toaster, no chopping board, only a small saucepan and small frypan you're not going to manage more than breakfast for 4 people. That's not a 'full kitchen' and it should not be described as such. And in my opinion, a kettle doesn't constitute a 'tea and coffee machine' as described on the website.
- The bathroom smells really bad - as though the sewer is open to the floor drain. There is an automatic perfume sprayer in the room, so its clearly a known issue, but we found we needed to leave the bathroom fan on constantly otherwise the whole apartment stank of 'sewer'.
In conclusion, I would NOT recommend staying here (especially with small kids) until there is a subsequent review which suggests the above issues have been satisfactorily resolved. Once that happens, then it should again be a GREAT place to stay in a perfect location.
Sorry Ali, but you should not be letting out the apartment in that condition!
Stayed here 3 nights to tour the old city. Booked a 2 bedroom suite, had a living room, which was perfect for the kids, satellite TV , watched the Holland vs Spain world cup game in the apartement. The only downside was the stained couch, other than that excellent.
Location is perfect, can't be better, hagia Sophia, blue mosque, topkapi palace all are within 5 min. walk or probably less. Grand Bazaar is a 15 to 20 min. walk. If you don't feel like walking you can take the tram from gulhane station 1 stop to sultanahmet square, 3 stops to grand bazaar. There is also a laundry across the corner 8 TL per KG.
To see the old historic sights, highly recommend, owners are very helpful with anything you need
We are a party of 5, consisting of myself, hubby, 18 & 14 year old sons, & 15 year old daughter. We stayed from 23rd to 30th May. We were collected at the airport courtesy of the owner. When we arrived we were greeted by the lovely owner Ali who helped us with our bags.
Firstly the apartment itself: - We were booked into the Family Suite. Me and the hubby had the double room which was spacious; we both had a bedside cabinet, there was a big wardrobe and a chair. The 3 windows make the room feel light and airy & the air conditioning unit was very welcome.
There was also a twin room, again spacious with wardrobe and dressing table with mirror and large wardrobe, and air conditioning. The lounge area had a large sofa which converted into a large double bed and TV and air conditioning. The Kitchen area has 2 rings, kettle, microwave and fridge with freezer. Washing up liquid, kitchen roll and utensils, plates, etc provided too. A nice touch was a lovely cold large bottle of water in the fridge for our arrival. There is a table with chairs for eating at too.
The loo and shower room has a mirror, hairdryer and plenty of cupboard space for your bits and bobs. The shower would be large enough if a parent needed to be in to wash the child. Towels are provided and replaced frequently by the housekeeper who also empties the rubbish regularly. All in all a fab apartment. (The only addition that would be good is bedside lamps & a mirror in the main bedroom).
Despite the hustle and bustle outside we found the apartment to be quiet day and night. The air conditioning can be set to timer mode so it kicks in when it gets warm, so we found we didn’t need the windows open at night.
Next the location:- A fantastic location, couldn’t have asked for better. You are over the road from Gulhane Park which is truly beautiful, it houses a Science Museum too, and you can also get to the beautiful Topkapi. The tram stop is about a 3 min walk away to the left of the apartment (which is 3TL per person which is equivalent to about a £1). To the right of the apartment up the hill are Hagia Sophia, The Blue Mosque and Basilca Cistern. The Spice Market which is about 15 minutes away is a feast for all of your senses. Pretty much everything is within a few minutes’ walk of the apartment. This apartment is so close to everything that we came back for lunches and sometimes a rest and a shower before going out and carrying on with our sightseeing.
Downstairs and to your right is a little kiosk who sells water and ice creams. There is a mini market who sells all your basics, plus fruit and veg, a meat and cheese counter too is about an 8 minute walk away.
Ali the owner was great, very friendly and helpful.