Best 3 nights stay in our entire trip of 15 days!
(please Like my review for my effort to keep it so detailed, if you benefit from the inputs here)
In short, must stay for minimum 3 nights or more & worth to stay over a week!, under priced, high quality stay, very good food, interesting nearby activities, very nice property & room, nice hospitality, the best of Bir!
For a detailed informative review, please read below.
This was a saviour as we checked out early from a highly rated property in Dalhousie and booked Colonel's Resort at last minute. Bir is an amazingly beautiful place and this resort is nestled in the right spot within 20mins walking distance to the paragliding landing station and the Bir tourist spot. Also, close to popular Tsering Jong monastery and the Nyingyang Monastery. Colonel's Resort falls on the way to the paragliding take-off point so the agent can pick you up on the way.
PROPERTY & ROOM:
With just 14 rooms but spread out over a relatively large area. You will get an amazing view of the mountains and so many paragliders flying in the sky. Also, a tea estate is attached to the property. There are quite many beautiful birds that you can spot in the property. Also, there is a bonfire spot and unlike other hotels where they charge for bonfire, here the hosts are generous to light a bonfire every evening!
The rooms are very cosy, decently big and clean. Outside the rooms there is a nice feel with trees and sitting area.
There are various things to do or places to visit nearby like experience paragliding, see organic farming at the Shunya Farm (do tip the caretaker), visit the pottery village Andretta & try your hands with clay, visit the nearby beautiful monasteries (named above), checkout Dharmalaya, do horse riding at the property, visit the cafes (must visit the Avva's Cafe) & shops (incl. Tibetan shops) near landing area.
Must go for the long morning walk through the beautiful village with Colonel Sir before breakfast and see village life, fruit trees, experience milking the cow, see the stepped farms, etc (Inhale deep all the way)!!!
Also, must go for the trek to the nearby pristine waterfall point and above that to the boulder (overlooking the valley below) where the property staff can take you to have some sandwiches & tea, absolutely worth it!!! (do tip the staff well)
RESTAURANT & FOOD:
The food at Colonel's Resort stands out as a USP of their hospitality. Fresh food cooked with love and high quality organic ingredients. You will not have any guilt feeling with over indulgence. We had all our three meals at the property itself. There is buffet meal available, inform in advance. Evenings are served with tea & cookies in the outside sit out area.
1) ANIMALS - Ginger, an amazingly loving dog who loves to play with all guests. Revathi and Noori are two horses who roam freely in the property. Also, there are cows too. Do buy veggies from the market and feed Revathi, lovely experience! And Ginger will accompany you for the morning walk!
2) FOOD - The hosts/owners of the property stay at the resort too and eat the same food with the guests. Veggies are organic, pure good quality oil, milk & ghee from own cows, etc. The food is like amazing well cooked, tasty and guilt free home cooked food unlike hotel food. We could stay here for even a month eating the same food and yet leave back healthy!
3) HOSTS - Colonel Sir JP Singh, his wife Pratibha Maam, their son Vikramaditya and his wife Kamakshi are the most lovely people we met on our trip. They would ensure every guest is well taken care of and with that personal touch you just feel at home.
4) ACTIVITIES - The morning walk, trek to waterfall and paragliding will remain my favourite memories! Also the evening bonfire!
5) VALUE FOR MONEY - Considering the overall experience, high quality food & comfortable property and hospitality, the price charged is low and is an absolute steal for any traveller! We wanted to cancel our bookings ahead at other places and continue staying here but rooms were not available!!
Perfect place to stay with friends and family, we will be coming again just to be at this resort and bring all my family members too. Would recommend all my friends to visit this place.
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.