After reading several great reviews, I decided to go ahead and book this hotel despite a pretty hefty price. The photos looked beautiful but the property looks fairly different in reality. Peman the caretaker (who is great) shifted us to a better room after we were upset by the first room we were given (very different to those photos).
It's a very nice hotel but it would have been nice to set expectations with more realistic photos.
- First and foremost I have to say that we were extremely well looked after by Peman. He personally took us on a hike up a nearby peak which was beautiful, and which we could not have found without his help.
- The food was excellent and just what we wanted i.e. simple Indian food.
- The surrounding area is beautiful, completely isolated and very very green.
- The beds are supremely comfortable
- Property is very clean
- Perfect wi-fi
- 6K a night is what a good hotel (standard Marriott for example) would cost in Mumbai city.
- Taking that into consideration, I was confused about why our room wasn't cleaned once in the 4 days we stayed there, which any hotel would do - especially at that price
- Given how remote it is, you don't really have an option to eat elsewhere. Each meal costs INR 500 per person which is quite expensive
- Same on transport: although we were given complimentary transport from Dehradun airport to the lodge (1.5 hour ride), didn't really have other options back to the airport and they charge 2300 just until the city, and 3200 if you are going to the airport. You can take an Ola outstation from Mumbai to Pune (4.5 hour ride) for the same price!!
- Basic amenities were missing - no water in rooms, only outside, coffee runs out, no Pepsi, snacks,etc kept in there (so bring your own snacks/ alcohol if you want some)
- The rooms and verandah are really beautiful but other parts of the house are oddly scarce. With just a little work, the reception area, kitchen and outside can be much more welcoming and aesthetically pleasing.
- The bicycles we really wanted to ride were being fixed while we were there so we couldn't use it (although perhaps we should have forewarned the property and I'm sure they would have prepared in advance - they were very accommodating of all our requests)
In summary I would say it's a great stay but either the prices need to be adjusted or the place needs to be spruced up/ more professional hotel services if sticking to these prices. The "hotel" obviously has a monopoly on food and transport so expect your costs to go up further than just the heavy hotel bill.
It was a great experience. The rooms were spacious and the view was amazing from the room. It was a remote location in horawala. The service provided was best and the chef cooked the delicious meal. The garden there was big and they also provided cycles and badminton for us. It was an amazing experience away from the hustle bustle of the city.
Beautiful and peaceful location friendly staff/management. Helpful and great security ! Clean and comfortable. We were group of 6 people visiting this resort for couple of days. The room were very clean and well decorated take the rooms on first floor as they have a large balcony with good view beautiful park inside the resort were we played lots of games.
The staff was very considerate and looked intoall our request food was wonderful fully equipped kitchen, nice bathroom, comfortable bed , nice living room and a great balcony with a view of nature.
We would definitely go back!
Thank you for make our trip soo wonderful and memorable!