- Traveller favouritesTours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
8 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Our Dark Sky experience started at 5 am on the sand dunes, at Matariki. We started earlier as our guide Deborah wanted to add in some deep sky viewing and also we were lucky enough to see all the planets lined up - which won't happen again till 2040. Although morning tours have not been something she has done much before, we really appreciated her thorough exposition about Matariki stars and the meaning of this hugely significant occasion. Although we were pretty well-informed there was such a lot we learned, despite patchy cloud cover. It was a magical place to be, even for those of us like us who were Aotea residents. As on a previous occasion the planning was meticulous with comfortable seating, and delicious snacks and drinks. To do this with our family was a special highlight and very rewarding experienceWritten 28 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We wanted to do the Aotea track, and spend time exploring and relaxing on the island afterwards. With lots of options to navigate, I discovered Go GBI and Lianne put together a well thought out and cost effective package for us with flights, transfers, Doc hut bookings, rental car and a beach house stay. Everyone was very welcoming and all went according to plan, thank you for a lovely holiday!Written 20 February 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had a terrific half day morning charter for my 50th with good mates. William Park was our captain for the day and made the whole experience amazing with his deep knowledge of the area and professional seamanship. Despite a fairly windy day, our trip felt calm and comfortable aboard 'Sundancer' and William put us straight onto the fish. Highly recommend Hooked on Barrier as your go-to for a Great Barrier Island fishing charter. Thank you William and the Hooked on Barrier team....till next time!Written 14 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Most beautiful and unique experience, knowing the stars as more than just specks of light in the night sky. Loved it would do it againWritten 8 February 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Really keen oil these lodge based, hiking/tramping trips. Cathy and Brad have been doing them for a while and Gt. Barrier is only one of their locales.
Each day you drive out and do a walk - some quite technical and demanding - but that's one of the advantages of having a guide. Not to mention the boxed lunch and the fresh brewed coffee on the mountain tops. Over the week you get a great feel for the geography and geology of the whole island.
And each night, back home for a hot shower, dinner and your own bed. Well done. Keen to use them again - maybe Waikaremoana or the Coromandel.Written 15 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- What a wonderful trip we had with Skilly, his local & area knowleage helped me, a beginner, catch a 12kg Snapper. My husband & I landed a dozen or more well over the legal size. Skilly provided all the rods, tackle & bait & I didnt have to do a thing except wind them in!!! Thanks Skilly for a wonderful trip, we will be back.Written 9 March 2014This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Great Barrier Island
- These are the best places for couples seeking tours in Great Barrier Island:See more tours for couples in Great Barrier Island on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking tours in Great Barrier Island:See more tours for groups in Great Barrier Island on Tripadvisor