Top Attractions in Kolhapur
What travellers are saying
- Weekends there is rather long queue. If you are in hurry then ask for way to mukh darshan which is possible without queue. The temple is big but with queue the perspective is difficult. Quite clean and majestic temple.Written 21 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I have not seen a place like this ever before.
Proper arrangement for washrooms, refreshments (sounds odd but it's not available everywhere)!
I visited along with my family and we felt blessed to have visited this place.
The murals are a bit too much to digest in a single shot and that makes this a bit too lengthy to cherish. But the work done is simply beautiful.
I must appreciate the thought behind this.
The artwork is also breathtaking!
One must visit this place at least twice to absorb the message and learn the same!Written 14 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This place known as Narsoba Wadi.... Nrushinha Saraswati is Avtar Of Lord Dattatray.... This place is Located At The Bank Of River Krishna , Three Kilometers From Shirol District... You can Travel by Railway, nearest railway station is Jaisinghpur or you can travel from Kolhapur by bus or transport vehicle or private car 52km from Kolhapur, 254km from Pune, 405km From Mumbai...45km From Nipani.....Temple begins at 5 a.m by Kakad Arti and Paduka Puja...Then it's Carry on othe activities whole day.... Really very HOLY Place....Basundi is very famous sweet made from milk very tasty.... aswel kandi pedha,Written 16 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Panhala fort is off Kolhapur. It is steeped in history. I was amazed at how well the places of the fort were maintained. Kudos to the government for preserving this monument. The views from the fort are amazing!! The road to the fort was well maintained which made the drive up good. However, there was one diversion just at the top, as the road had caved in during the monsoons. A temporary road is made while repairs to the main road is in progress.
A visit well worth it!Written 10 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Its a major attraction of Kolhapur city. Good for a family entertainment and click some photos. It needs to be cleaner to attract more tourists.
You can do boating, have kids play area as well as a lot of places to eat out.Written 15 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We had visited this Place with whole family & Find very positive Feel while visiting this place.
Currently due to lockdown situation temple is close but i will highly recommed to visit this placeWritten 17 July 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- An amazing place offering great material for photography enthusiasts. Located approx 1.5 hours drive out of the city on the Maharashtra Karnataka border.Written 4 January 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- AWESOME. A perfect blend of culture, natural ambience and entertainment for the family exhibiting the rich heritage of indian sages in the first phase and deep insight into the rich indian village life through a VA........ST display of different aspects of village lifestyle and its inhabitants, beautifully showcasing their different professions and different aspects of their life through a huge number of mind boggling true to life statues and exhibits, built with a very minute eye for details and bringing out the intricate nuances of the different aspects of their daily lifestyle in a very simple and appealing manner. Each and every statue has been built with great detail and in a very natural manner which introduces the viewer to the simple and beautiful village life in a very endearing manner.
The whole complex is a complete family entertainer with a small park outside for kids, an ancient shiv temple, a shopping arcade, a horror house and some eating joints.
Thoroughly enriching and enjoyableWritten 22 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The palace is an attraction. Rather small when compared to the Mysore palace . Has huge area around it which could be well maintained by way of a garden as it has its own pond filled with water. Mobiles or cameras not allowed inside. Required to remove shoes before entering. Plan to spend about an hour here.Written 17 February 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- It is located at the southern end of Sahyadri Hills.It is a home to several species of plants,mammal, reptiles, birds and butterflies. Along with these, the sanctuary also houses many species of amphibians.Written 26 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I think it's nice place but some problems are there one of them.... The line for breakfast such a long and breakfast not good . Swimming pools are best for childrens and all also lunch .
But I suggest the management of the Gandharva that .... You should have to improve your management for breakfast , changing rooms , lockers and timing also
After all me & my frds enjoyed a lot .....💞Written 8 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- It is surrounded by lush greenery of the nature.It offer picturesque natural views to visitors. One can enjoy the cool water, falling from a height of 100 ft, splashing on the rocks.Written 26 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Good mall. Parking was free. Food court is good. Major shops are there for shopping. McDonalds on ground floor. Mall is good in size to roam around. Would recommend to visit here when in Kolhapur.Written 14 January 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A year ago, I saw the photo of Gagangiri Math.
I was highly impressed of it's photo with excellent green top view.
I was to visit in last week of July 2019. There was a forecast of heavy rains, flood & bad weather in Kolhapur inlast week of July 2019, so I kept my visit on hold.
I was on Goa sightseeing tour from 24th to 28th November 2019.
On 29th November 2019, I started from Goa to Amboli Waterfall & then arrived in Kolhapur at 10.30 pm.
I had to choose in couple of minutes from following two options:
1. Directly proceed to Pune from Kolhapur without overnight stay
2. Stay overnight in Kolhapur.
Next day, visit Gagangiri Temple, Rankala Lake, Mahalaxmi Temple etc & then proceed to Pune.
I made a choice of 2nd option.
After visiting Gagangiri Temple I patted myself for making an excellent decision.
There are very few reviews for this place on tripadvisor with following names:
a) Gagangiri Maharaj Math Temple
Both the reviews have very less photos of this place.
Gagangiri Temple really turned out to be more stunning & impressive place than I thot or imagined.
To believe what I say I would request here to stop reading any further & watch the photos I have attached in this review with easy to understand tag system & description. Please stop reading any further & take virtual tour of this place thru photos.
Hope, you also must have found the photos of Gagangiri Temple to be stunning & impressive.
All Helpful Tips For This Tour:
1) Kolhapur To Gaganbawda Travel - 60 km.
I reached Central Bus Stand (CBS) of Kolhapur at 7.00 am.
State transport buses to Gaganbawda are from 6 am onwards & starts from platform no. 13 or 14 or 15. There are electronic display showing bus schedule & time.
Buses going to Kankavali, Kudal, Sawantwadi & Goa goes via Gaganbawda.
Most of the buses stops at Gaganbawda.
Goa Panji bus was at 7.30 am.
Kolhapur To Sawantwadi ST bus came at 7.40 am.
It was a ordinary bus. I boarded it.
Kolhapur to Goa Panji bus of 7.30 am came at 8.45 am.
It was a Shivshahi AC bus.
I got down from Sawantwadi bus & boarded Goa Panji bus.
It started in couple of minutes. Bus Fare Rs.110.
I reached Gaganbawda at 10 am. The journey of 2 hours was less scenic with road narrow & also less good.
2) Gaganbawda Bus Stand To Gagangiri Math Foothill Travel - 2 km
Following two options:
One way Rs.60 to 80.
b) By Walk:
i) Straight leisure walk of 15 to 20 minutes.
ii) Walk with few stops for photography on route will take more than 30 minutes.
I used this option. I have attached photos taken on route.
NB: If you are having your own car, you can drive upto the foothills.
The road is very good. Ample parking facility is there.
I came out from Gaganbawda bus stand & saw the Concrete Arch on my left.
Photo of Gaganbawda bus stand & this arch is attached in this review.
Started walking thru it. After 300 meter came Y type diversion. Turned right & walked straight till Gagangiri Math foot hill. On the way saw few teenagers (boys & girls) doing rock climbing near one temple on left side of road.
It was a very pleasant walk of 2 km taking photos of valleys and mountains at few locations.
3) Gagangiri Math Foothill To Gagangiri Math:
It is 15 to 20 minutes walk using steps. Views from steps are too impressive. I have attached photos of these views.
4) Gagangiri Math:
Photography is prohibited in the premises of Gagangiri Math.
Adjacent to temple is a dining hall for maha prasad. Maha prasad timing is from 1 pm onwards. I was there at 11.30 am, pohe was served to the visitors as prasad at that
time. I had pohe.
Once you visit the Gagangiri Math. Then you can walk thru the steps to go to the temple on top & then the mosque at the topmost point at apprx 500 meter distance by walk.
Drinking water facility is there plus tap water for washing feet also available.
Toilet facility will also be there. Unfortunately I missed to note it.
The step route to Mosque provides stunning views of mountains all around & ghat route. I have attached photos of these views.
From the Mosque you get impressive view of Gagangiri Math. Unfortunately the green grass is not there on the Gagangiri top mountain plateau otherwise it would have given the most impressive view of Gagangiri Math. I have attached photos of these views too.
I saw few monkeys on the top temple, few visitors were feeding them eatables.
There was no sight of monkey troubling any visitors.
7) Gagangiri Math To Kolhapur:
After my Gagangiri Math tour, I took lift from Gagangiri Math till Gaganbawda bus stand.
There are local ST buses from Kolhapur to Gaganbawda & Gaganbawda to Kolhapur.
Don't board this bus as it takes 30 minutes more bcoz it takes all small stops on the route. It is like a passenger bus. Ticket for it is Rs.70.
I got into it by mistake. After I purchasing ticket, the fellow passenger told me it is local bus. I requested conductor for refund of ticket & allow me to board any of the other two ST buses. He refused.
Anyhow I didn't felt that much long journey by this bus.
The morning journey by AC bus was slow. The journey by local bus was fast in comparison to it.
8) Food Option:
During Kolhapur to Gagangiri Math temple travel by bus, you have only following options of food if you are travelling by state transport bus.
i) Big ordinary canteen at CBS Kolhapur bus stand
This option is better.
ii) Small ordinary canteen at Gaganbawda bus stand
I had poha & upma here.
iii) Small ordinary food stall outside bus stand near to Gaganbawda Arch
NB: Better you have good food in the good restaurant before coming to Kolhapur bus stand or else carry food with you to have it on the Gagangiri Math.
9) Best Season To Visit:
Monsoon is the ultimate best.
The next best is immediately after monsoon.
10) Best Time To Visit During Non Monsoon Season:
a) In morning before 11 am
b) 4 pm to 6 pm
Surely I will recommend this impressive place for true nature lovers.Written 6 December 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The dam is situated on the river Bhogawati near village Radhanagri.The scenic beauty of the dam attracts the visitors to come here.If you want to spend some time here then you must come with some snacks and a still camera to capture some special moments.Written 26 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kolhapur