Top Attractions in Ujjain
What travellers are saying
- 1) In any Trip, one of the most important thing required is stay. I would recommend people to use clock rooms at railway station to deposit luggage. The railway station is near to temple. Even in worst traffic one can reach by max 30min. Hotels like Satyug may charge 6K and above but are good in facility. Hotels like Dayal guest house may charge 3K and above but room is very much compact. Once the stay is fixed then one needs food
2) Food facility is very high. Even near Sandipni Ashram one can go to restaurant...The entire thali buffet may cost around 200rs per person.
3) After coming to ujjain i would suggest one to go to Ramghat and take bath in river. Be cautious as the river flow rises drastically...Within hours of my stay the river arose by 2-3 steps
4) After the bath, i would suggest to visit temple. But i would say visit in night. At-least one may see bhasm aarti around 22:30. During my visit some big person came to temple and hence the crowd was pushed outside the temple. Collector, joint collector, SP all vehicles were parked...
5) By 23:00hrs you will be coming out of temple so do visit, bada ganapti...
6) Sleep in night and next day one can go to places all over ujjain like harsidhi, nag-chandreswar temple, mangalnath, chintamani ganesh, gad kaali, kaal bhariva (one of the cutest god I have seen in my life)....Do feel the ambience of gad kaali and kaal bhairava...
7) In the overall trip the only discouraging factor may be the long intentional queues/barricades created by govt..... which may lead in blocking of route to temple ( like we could not go to harsidhi as routes were blocked)....But over come this thinking as the only king of the the entire time is watching everything....Written 5 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Though many consider this temple as one of the Shaktipeethas but that doesn't matter because of the lively environment during Sandhya Aarati.
If you are in Ujjain, don't miss the Arti.Written 8 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very well maintained, preserved and explained place. Nice to learn about Lord Krishna's education here, his gurus, the Lord Shivling. The 14 vidyas Lord Krishna learnt. Overall, a good learning and experieneWritten 28 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very unique and interesting temple. Kaal Bhairav ji likes alcohol so that's offered to him. There are liquor shops outside.
The temple entrance can be better maintained.Written 4 August 2022
- Gadkalika temple is located on the road leading to Shri Kalabhairav temple. We visited Kalabhairav temple first and then in return we had Maa Darshan here. This temple is situated in between Kalabhairav and Mahakal temple. its @ 4 km away from Mahakal temple and 2.5 km from Kalabhairav temple.
It is believed that the deity in this temple is worshipped by Poet Kalidas. The legend goes that the great poet Kalidas was originally uneducated, but with his great devotion to the goddess Gadkalika here, he acquired unparalleled literary skills.
Specialty of this temple:
1. This temple is popularly called as Ujjain Mahakali
2. This temple is one of the eighteen Shakti peethas where the upper lip of goddess sati fell here.
3. This temple is located near the village of Gad, hence this temple is famous with the name Gadkalika Mandir.
4. In this temple Maa Durga is situated in the form of Kalika. In the sanctum Maa Face is highlighted and clearly visible along with decorated ornaments.
5. Kalika Devi in this temple is different from other Kalika' s idol such that it is in saffron color rather than black color.
6. It is claimed that this Maa Gadkalika is here since Satyuga.
Morning 06:00 to Evening 09:00Written 14 July 2022
- The place having Shri Ram Mandir at bank of Shipra. Ghats are clean but water is not too clean. People should have some respect where Laks of people come in Singhasth Kumbha. Aarti is being performed at evening where you can enjoy. people come here for Holy Bath , but I wish it could be managed better.Written 15 November 2021
- A large ISKCON temple complex, also having idol of Narsimha avtaar which is very uncommon.
A real chanting environment.Written 8 July 2022
- The place is named as Lord Ganesha will end worries who worship here. Place is famous for Marriage & Lagna and writing Lagna patri . It is believed that one can marry here 24x7 round the clock. No Muhart for Merage is required here. Well managed temple complex. Should be vested.Written 15 November 2021
- There is a 10 rs ticket, we went inside but no guide and without a guide we can't understand the functioning of different apparatus/dials used there. They said no guide during covid times. We came back disappointed but will still recommend because I like such places with scientific inclination and it's good for all.Written 10 April 2021
- close to the Mahakal temple, this temple of Lord Ganesh has a huge idol of the Lord in sitting postureWritten 28 April 2022
- Bhartrihari Caves are situated near GadKalika Matha temple, above the banks of Shipra River and is one of the major tourist attraction of Ujjain. These 11th century caves owe their name from Bhartrihari who is step brother of King Vikramaditya.
History of the Caves:
Bhartrihari born as a King, but still renounced his affluent lifestyle and adopted the grab of an ascetic. It is said that reason beyond that was his disturbing relation with his wife. The heartbreak led him to give up all his dreams and become a spiritualist. When Bhartrihari decided to renounce the worldly life, he came here in search of a peace to continue his meditation. In due course of time these Caves became his shelter where he spend considerable part of his life.
Bhartrihari was a great scholar and renowned poet, known for his delicate use of Sanskrit in his verses. Some of his great works like Nitishatak, Shringarshatak and Vairagyashatak are considered as gems of Indian literature. It is believed that all these were written in this caves only.
The interior of the cave is extremely cool, peaceful and spiritual. Narrow route inside the cave number 1 leads to the place where Bhartrihari meditated. The stone curved statue of Bhartrihari in the sitting position is arranged there for visiting purpose.
There is also a small temple in Cave number 2 that is a holy shrine of the Nath community.
Throughout your journey to Bhartrihari Caves you will have a feeling of travelling to a different era.Written 17 July 2022
- Most famous temple situated in center of ujjain city.activties of this temple maintained by sindhya trust.Written 13 February 2020
- There is big statue of famous king vikramaditya king.teela is presented at center on rudra sagar near to mahakal temple.Written 29 April 2020
- Siddhwat Ujjain is one of the five VAT Trees in India. It Holds a significance importance and considered as age old tree. It also has a mention in VIKRAM VETAAL Stories.
4-5 Km from Mahakaleshwar temple this is easily reachable from Shared Auto or Taxi.Written 30 January 2022
- Most famous temple in ujjain.all char dham gods murtis at one premices in varrious attractive manner.Written 13 February 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Ujjain
- The best outdoor activities in Ujjain according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Ujjain on Tripadvisor