Architectural Buildings • Government Buildings
Types of Attractions
Sights & Landmarks
Sights & Landmarks
What travellers are saying
- The place is the residence of the LG of Pondicherry and hence entry is not permitted. One can however have a look at the expansive garden and the intricate carvings on the various statues.Written 30 May 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Peaceful and nice to see it’s different
Love the tiny Nandi
Watch out for your shoes/ stray dogs may take them awayWritten 5 March 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is an old and wonderfully decorated Shiva temple. The sculptures and wall paintings are beautifully executed and maintained. There is an amazing painted ceiling. The sheer variety of deities is fantastic The noise and bustle of the main road disappear when you step through the door. The place has a quiet spiritually about it. There were no restrictions on photography.Written 17 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I visited this center on my last trip to Pondicherry in 2018 and made a point to visit again this year (April 2023) when staying in Chennai (a 3 hr drive away). The Catholic Sisters at the center are TRULY doing God's work, teaching abused, disadvantaged women the craft of embroidery in a serene, beautiful setting. The pieces available for purchase are simply exquisite (some of the best needlepoint I have ever seen). In addition to embroidered napkins and towels, I bought multiple pieces to have framed, as they are truly works of art. Just remember to bring enough cash as the center does NOT accept credit cards. Also make sure to check their opening hours before planning your visit, as they are closed on some days and have limited hours on the days they are open. My only dilemma was trying to decide which pieces to ultimately purchase - they were ALL so gorgeous! By making a purchase here, you are rewarded with beautiful heirloom quality needlepoint pieces as well as the satisfaction of knowing your purchase is truly making a difference in the lives of these women. A "must visit" when in Pondicherry.Written 4 April 2023
- The Ananda Ranga Pillai house is located on a street named after him in the old `Native` quarters.This mansion is one of the oldest surviving buildings here.He was working with Dupleix Governor general of Pondicherry in the 18th century. He meticulously maintained a dairy of the events of his times which serves as a storehouse of lots of information on the 18th century goings on.
The mansion is built with a mixture of Tamil & French architectural styles.It was supposed to be a lavishly furnished stylish house but now a days it has fallen on bad times.Special permission is required to make an entry inside.Written 17 May 2017