Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Santa Elena
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Thoroughly educational and enjoyable tour of this orchid garden. Loads of orchids to see and learn about....if it sounds boring, it most certainly isn'tWritten 24 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Highly recommend a visit to this park, we even saw the famous bellbird among the trees, it was a wonderful sight! The staff were very informative and welcoming.Written 30 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Wonderful example of how to be regenerative in a way that allocates finance to maintain this cycle of life. The person who guided us was so informative and they did a thorough job of teaching us about their way of permaculture. I Loved the experience and loved the insight of the guide :) definitely recommend anyone who comes to Monteverde to inform themselves about evolving their relationship with the land.Written 18 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I highly recommend the Skywalk in addition to walking the trails of the Reserva Bosque Nuboso Santa Elena and the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve. When we visited the Skywalk in the early morning we were able to spot monkeys and quetzals, which were incredible to see in wild. The views are stunning from the bridges.
This Skywalk is operated and maintained by Sky Adventures. You buy your ticket at the same facility that operates the ziplines and tram. This is a modern facility with a nice restaurant and gift shop.
Note that if you're fearful of heights, the Skywalk may not be your thing. There's six suspension bridge. The longest span is 700 feet with a height above the forrest floor or 160 feet!Written 4 April 2022
- An amazing place to explore the beautiful nature. Very kind people who are delighted to share their knowledge. We made the trails by day and by night and saw monkeys, armadillos, bats, frogs, beautiful birds, butterflies and definitely more than in the Monteverde Sanctuary. Absolutely recommended!!Written 17 April 2022
- Arrived late afternoon in Santa Elena and this night tour was recommended by all locals, both at the hotel and restaurant. The guide was super nice and knowledgeable, taking the time to help us with pictures. We spotted several vipers, tarentulas, a salamender, colorful frogs and sleeping. The sloths were hiding that night but oh well, this is real Nature not a zoo! Good shoes are a must as the terrain can be a bit muddy and steep.Written 21 November 2022
- Sorry to see low reviews of a unique little experience that we enjoyed. The staff was nice, enthusiastic, and extremely willing to share their. knowledge. You are required to really follow a guide through the exhibit, and they seem to care about the frogs and take very good care of them. These various frog species could not have been spotted, nor enjoyed, as easily out in the rainforest. It is unlikely that anyone could have seen all these varieties if they were not in these special glass habitats. We learned that the specimens are changed out every few weeks so no frog is subject to a confined lifetime. You receive a flashlight day and night to help spot them, but we definitely suggest you return between 6-8 for a night visit because their colosr are more vibrant in the dark. The guided afternoon visit probably lasted an hour and a half, and we self toured for about 45 minutes in the evening. There is a separate butterfly, bug and spider exhibit to enjoy at your leisure before you enter the frog area.Written 1 April 2022
- Aguti is a great hike, lots of birds and critters, beautiful trails and forest. You can hike Aguti on your own, which we did, or with a guide. We stayed at Senda Monteverde, which backs up to Aguti and offers free entrance to the reserve. We saw agoutis, blue butterflies, an amazing crested guan, leaf cutter ants busily working. There are a few frog ponds. We kept hearing three wattled bellbirds but couldn’t find them; this is where a guide would help. It’s definitely worth spending a few hours here.Written 1 June 2021
- I was atrqacted by the name...we stop there and it was a great expereince
People ther were incredible nic...we saw some nice pieces of local artWritten 11 January 2021
- I recommend Dr. Karmen’s massage after a day of adventure. She is very professional and very kind. I had an amazing therapeutic massage with hot stones. I will definitely go back to Dr. Karmen’s massage next time I visit Monteverde!Written 20 November 2022
- Beautiful handmade wooden bowls purchased directly from the this quaint shop owned by husband and wife. I wish my suitcase would have held more! Stop here and buy your souvenirs!Written 11 September 2022
- I've been getting massages in the US for 20 yrs now and this was one of the best I have gotten. Dinia was very friendly and professional and easy to book with. Highly recommended!Written 22 July 2022
- El sol transpo is AMAZING and reliable, for multiple reasons. One main reason is that one of there owners, Alba, is an absolute angel. I had an SJO->Monteverde arrangement and she accommodated all of my needs and EXTRA. She offered to give me a tour of the city free of charge just because she wanted me to be familiar and comfortable with the area (I told her I was here solo). She gave me recommendations for where to eat and how to get around which helped me so much. To top it all off, she is literally so friendly and bubbly and sweet, she even helped me arrange a next-day taxi for a tour that I didn’t have transpo for. Alba is just so amazing and I was so lucky I chose to go with this company. They can also arrange full tours with hotels and transp so don’t hesitate to arrange stuff thru them. They aren’t cutthroat and after your money so I’m def going to be using them and recommending them to my friends/fam. Best wishes!Written 22 October 2022
- We can't say enough good things about Transportes Varela. We booked 4 private trips with Doria, who is an outstanding owner/driver. Our first leg was from SJO to San Jose, with our super friendly and knowledgeable driver, Jefferson. Our second trip from San Jose to La Fortuna, Dorian was our driver, very friendly, exceptionally professional and on time. From La Fortuna we took a scenic drive via Lake Arenal to Monteverde and finally Manuel Antonio. Dorian arranged for all legs of this trip, including the boat crossing. Our final trip was from Manuel Antonio to SJO. We highly recommend this company. It was all arranged via WhatsApp and Dorian was very responsive. We love Costa Rica and we love Dorian :)Written 15 July 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Santa Elena
- The best day trips from Santa Elena according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Waterfalls, Wild Trekking and Horseback Riding
- Package | Monteverde Cloud Forest + Curi-Cancha Reserve + Night Hike (Private)
- Monteverde Sky Tram & Hanging Bridges Cloud Forest Combo Tour
- Walk in Monteverde cloud forest plus Coffee Tour 3 in 1
- One Day Celestial River from Montverde Round Trip