Historic Sites • Wineries & Vineyards
Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Franschhoek
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Boschendal was the last stop on our Franschhoek Wine Tram voyage (navy line) and we spent two lovely hours tasting wine and eating delicious farm baked bread underneath the big oak tree at the Cellar Door. Despite being our last stop on the tour and having the Premium Tasting at Boschendal, we could not get enough of Boschendal wine and also tasted their MCC, John le Long Prestige Cuvée which was absolutely lovely. The garden and surroundings are beautiful and we could easily have spent another hour at Boschendal. We left with big bags from the shop filled with our new-found favourite Boschendal wines, cookies and preserved figs - all delicious! Would revisit in a heartbeat.Written 23 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We always visit this excellent museum whenever we go to Franschhoek. Exhibits are always changing and description boards seem much better now. A must for classic car fans.Written 27 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Absolutely spectacular drive over the Franschoek pass today - well worth the drive but watch out for the baboons that tend to cross the road on occasions!Written 28 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The wine tasting experience at La Motte was a very elegant experience in a lovely tasting room, one of the top ones in Franschhoek. In depth description of the wines, of course, but a passion for understanding them. We have tasted there over the many years and they are still in the top tier. Unfortunately their outstanding restaurant was closed for remodeling.Written 8 December 2022
- We had a great experience at Eikehof! We had a booking for a large group, and they had our table ready. The owners came over right away and chatted and served us our tasting. They were very nice and it was fun to hear their history. The wine and views are great! Lovely place!Written 23 January 2023
- Definitely worth a visit! Beautiful setting!
Great estate, serving vetkoek & mince, as well as the most delicious koesisters, with a variety of other food options available.
Let’s not forget the long list of wines on offer. We opted for a glass of their Bland de Noir and Golden lynx, which were great choices.
Staff are very welcoming, Luke, Amy and Victoria are always at your service.Written 24 September 2022
- Stopped here for a wine tasting. The estate was very pretty, wine was good. There is a restaurant on site, but it was losed while we were there.Written 24 September 2022
- nice new museum and it is also fun. I dont like boring museums and this one is really interesting to visit.Written 26 November 2022
- We had a sushi and wine pairing that worked really well! Very friendly staff and inviting. Would definitely come back for seconds and thirds...Written 14 January 2023
- Wine tasting in the old manor house. I tried most of the wines on offer; all very good and some excellent. There's several tasting options, all good value. Service is knowledgeable and friendly. Setting is beautiful and peaceful.Written 22 January 2023
- This was the best vineyard we visited in Franschhoek. The views were stunning and the lady who served our wines was genuinely knowledgeable, had time to answer questions and didn’t sound as though she was reading a script (which must be easy to do with so many wine tastings a day) We ended up buying a couple of bottles of their very best wines that weren’t on the tasting menu so fingers crossed 😂🤞Written 17 January 2023
- Experienced a magical wedding at Vrede en Lust. The staff and hospitality were so friendly. Made us feel right at home. Highly recommend this place for day visiting or long vacation or celebrations.Written 2 November 2022
- Recap >> Beautifully set on the top of Franschhoek valley, this lovely corner worth seeing and give it a try. Bear in mind to go after checking the weather forecast unless you keen to spend time in the cavey and dark tasting room. The outside-terraced-view-restaurant & balcony offer its best in fact. Booking highly recommended in winter too.
Story >> Went for a trip to Franschhoek in mid-August, lovely sunny warm day, perfect for bubbly hence we didn’t go with their reds, next come in will give a try definitely. Took bottle of Brut speaking of which, amongst the best MCCs in South Africa so far. We had a lovely chat with company rep, friendly and welcoming, she offered us a sip of their sparkling rosé. In general, if was not for this higher in grade (we assume a manager / supervisor helping out staff) arranging and accommodating clients & tables out, the service appeared lazy and superficial with workers busy ignoring clients like insects. And was not crowded day at all. Guess summer must be nuts. Besides, we didn’t really get why bottle at the factory costs more than in a shop in Cape Town. Restaurant menu questionable for a matter of variety and combo with wines.
Debrief >> German ownership, family business which went big. Impeccable presentation of product, attention to detail, cleanliness. All good but missing some vibes, South Africa at Haute Cabrière hard to feel. It’s more like a German wine farm set in a South African corner. It’s cold there even when it’s 40 degrees outside. Missing some local touch, in a few words too much of shareholders’ too less of locals’.Written 2 September 2022
- The venue is well set up for tastings and the restaurant if you choose.
We tasted the Icon Range of wines (red only) and they were fabulous.
Our consultant was very helpful and left us with the bottles to review, all of which were amazing.
We thought the best was the Sleeper Shiraz Range and took two bottles for our collection. They came in beautiful boxes which was a bonus.
There are things for the family to do whilst the adults taste the wine. Even a wine tour on the back of a tractor trailer which looked good fun.
Will definitely be back.Written 13 April 2022
- We tasted the excellent wines from Holden Manz in Franschoek. Prize was a knowledgeable and excellent host. Can highly recommend it!Written 6 February 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Franschhoek
- The best outdoor activities in Franschhoek according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Franschhoek on Tripadvisor
- The best day trips from Franschhoek according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Wine tour to Stellenbosch & Franschhoek | includes tastings & lunch
- Paarl, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch Wine Tour from Cape Town
- Stellenbosch and Franschhoek 20 Wine Tasting & Lunch & Tasting Fees Shared Tour
- Full-day Winelands Explore Private Tour: Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, Paarl region
- Cape Winelands and Wine Tasting Full Day Tour
Franschhoek Attractions Information
|Local Time||Sunday 5:03 AM|