Religious Sites • Churches & Cathedrals
Top Attractions in Oakland
What travellers are saying
- I went there on my last business trip to Oakland/San Francisco area.
I’m glad I did! It was eye opening, informative, and well laid out for tourists. It’s beautiful vistas are awe inspiring. I feel more culturally aware and enabled to be a better global citizen.Written 27 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The museum is a must to visitors. But plan to have at least 4 hours to see the museum. The museum is closed at 5 pm. The garden outside is beautiful ,but make sure you leave the garden before 5 pm because the garden is locked after 5 pm.Written 26 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful hike. We parked at the Skyline Gate Staging lot (the lot gets full - there is some street parking). We took the trail to the left near the restrooms and crossed over after a while to get on the Stream Trail. This allowed us to see all the mushrooms. If going for the ladybugs, you would take the trail on the right from the parking lot - the Stream Trail. Walk down until you get to the Prince Trail. There was a large sign where the lady bugs were located. SO MANY LADYBUGS!!! Hike is pretty flat minus the hill that leads to the parking lot on your way back. Lots of dogs & children - highly recommend!Written 27 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This was our first time going to Oakland zoo. We’ve been to Fresno numerous times (also nice) and Sacramento once (average) and we were very pleasantly surprised at how nice and large Oakland zoo is.
Our friends told us they added the upper part of the zoo somewhat recently. You access it via a free gondola ride which is very nice and we could see Oakland and San Francisco clearly on the day we attended. The upper portion of the zoo has a lot of American west animals such as bears, bison, mountain lion, condors, bald eagles, wolves etc. The lower section has your African and Asian animals. They have giraffes, elephants, lions, hyenas, etc. Don’t remember seeing a rhino or hippo but otherwise they had most of the animals you would expect to see.
Also there is an area with some rides for kids that was reasonably priced. Our daughter rode the carousel once.
We went for free due to our friends being members but when we checked online for pricing it seemed reasonable. Around $20 I think.Written 10 May 2022
- A walk around all or part of Lake Merritt is a wonderful way to see parts of Oakland and get some great walking exercise. I've done it many, many times. I would not do it at night but anytime during light hours is highly recommended.Written 29 January 2023
- I have taken the ferry many times from Jack London to the SF Ferry building....both with my family (who live in Oakland) and with only my partner. It is a wonderful experience with great views and something most children will love.Written 29 January 2023
- I love the clear directions on where to go for your seating. Lots of staff so you will not have any trouble finding someone to ask for help. Parking is expensive though compare to others. Seating typical, you will not be able to walk in front of people without them standing up.
Parking $40 - we parked at A6 and it was walkable to the arena. I suggest if you're okay to walk even after concerts, park farther so when the even is gone, it is easier for you to leave as vehicles will line up to leave the venue. Be smart where to turn but always be careful as people is around.Written 17 December 2019
- I would have loved to have printed from a website or purchased a map noting famous grave sites and/or monuments. There are spectacular views, and some very intersting monuments. Definitely read about it before you go.Written 2 December 2022
- $10 to take the dockside tour - when I arrived (a Sunday) it was just myself, the guide and a guide in training. The yacht - if you will - is not particularly luxurious (maybe an understatement) as these things go, but then it was designed as a working Coast Guard cutter, and retrofitted for FDR - he was, essentially, roughing it. Enjoyed an hour plus of wide ranging conversation all over the ship - touching on history and somethines just shared interest or a random commentary of the purpose and function of light ships (one docked nearby). Really, this could have been a one and done tour, but so much information graciously shared by my ex-navy guide that it really became a memorable experience. Well done, Sir.Written 2 October 2022
- After an all day meeting and while waiting for a late flight, I took a walk to Jack London Square. It offered very pleasant views of the bay. There was some food/drink options and benches.Written 22 August 2022
- This is a very interesting building, but the iconography is not always immediately evident. A printed description would be helpful, although the three one-page sheets did help. I would love to see it filled with people. It still feels a little unfinished.Written 2 December 2022
- This is a wonderful place that I discovered this past summer. There was free star-gazing, although it had to be curtailed due to fog coming in. However, the docents were wonderful and informative, and I plan on going back very soon!Written 10 November 2022
- There are many parks in this system, very much needed as the area is so densely populated. Great places for long hikes, some swimming and always a picnic.Written 27 January 2022
- I remember bringing my children to Fairyland so it was a particular joy getting to experience it again with my granddaughter. She loved getting to experience her favorite nursery rhymes and fairytales come to life. I can still hear her giggles as we watched the puppet show. The staff were a pleasant addition, offering smiles and assistance as we rode the train and carousel. After 50 years Fairyland is still a magical place for young and old alike.Written 5 November 2019
- The sight line was good from all locations in the cheap seats, friendly staff, very expensive drinksWritten 8 November 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Oakland
Oakland Attractions Information
|Local Time||Sunday, 3:02 am|