- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- I wanted to join a dive tour during my road trip through california. I was super easy to get a slot on a small tour with 4 people and our dive master Sam was very friendly. I had a great dive and can recommend the dive shop for anyone pasing by to go for some diving.Written 28 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Had a great spontaneous early morning beach dive with breakwater. They were very friendly and managed to Organise my dive on very short notice without any problems what so ever.
Very professional dive shop with a good and large selection of rental gear and friendly staff.
The dive was off breakwater beach and as it was at 07:00 AM we had the site to ourselves. There’s a good amount of kelp forest (which was important to me) loads of invertebrates and even some sea lions came to check us out.
I’ll definitely come back to breakwater.Written 19 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This class helped me safely reach out further under the water. As a bonus we are diving in Monterey Bay, a premier dive location among giant kelp, the sequoias of the sea!Written 11 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Really nice and professional experience. Want to highlight the excellent rental equipment which was in top shape and really helped with the cold water.Written 12 August 2022
- I’ve gone out with sanctuary three times and they’ve been incredible each time. Best sites, best staff and by far the best boat (the other charters don’t even come close). Great experience that doesn’t make you feel like sardines. Sad to hear they’re closing and the boats for sale. Glad I got to go out with them in December of 2019.Written 22 May 2020
- I came to Monterey to do a bunch of shore dives but after having a very low visibly dive on Saturday I decided to look at the last minute dive boats.
I got lucky and got the last spot on the Silver Prince and I am so glad I did.
While you need to bring all your gear or you can rent some of theirs, it's a great boat with a good crew.
I did two dives with them, one in Carmel which had amazing visibility (30-40ft) and another dive at Eric's Pinnacle in Monterey off Lover's point with less visibility but tons of life.
I saw nudibranchs, a wolf eel, fish, crabs and tons of other critters. I recommend getting 100cf (15l) tanks as there is lots to see. Also if you are nitrox certified, use it, the dives are not deep but the nitrox helps.
I would dive with the boat again and plan to do so in the future.Written 19 June 2017
- I would give it negative stars if I could, just because of the haughty owner. If you want to buy whatever they have without any questions, go ahead but if you have questions, go somewhere else as the owner WILL tell you so. I asked him a question about the name of the book required for their course, and he took such offense to it and said that he'll let me go somewhere else. Well, I definitely will go somewhere else, but hopefully this warning might help someone. Avoid this place if you can, because clearly the owner wants you to.Written 20 June 2019
- I cannot recommend this dive shop highly enough. I went there with Bryson for our Scuba training and certification. John Richardson the owner was our instructor. John is superb in explaining how to Scuba and and has a passion for the sport with over 7000 dives locally and more the world over. He is a strict follower of PADI. He is supported by instructors and staff in the dive shop. His son Hunter is personable and motivated me to sign is up for Scuba.
I chose the all-inclusive option which includes all rental equipment. You just come with swim trunks and a towel!
The initial certification consists of 2 weekends.
The first weekend is learning and getting familiar with the equipment on day 1.
Day two is about the swimming test and confined water (pool) training with all equipment for both weekends.
The second weekend is a about open water training (providing you qualify).
Make sure you complete the PADI online course and pass the exam. And fill out the medical form and get a physical from your doctor if there are any conditions which need a doctors release.
We just finished both weekends and Bryson got PADI certified. We ended with a really nice dinner at the nearby Italian restaurant.
A friendly instructor and assistance and really good students.. what’s not to like about scuba diving here? Can’t wait to get certified!!Written 21 July 2022
- My wife and I have just finished three days of diving with Scott from Aquarius II. We completed numerous specialty dives and an Advanced Open Water course, we even managed a dive at Monastery! Scott proved himself an exceptionally knowledgable and patient instructor. He was always willing to teach and found the right rhythms to teach two different people with different learning styles simultaneously. The prices were reasonable and similar to what we expected to pay, the shop was warm and carried the basics of any dive shop.
We had reached out to two other dive shops in the area first based upon TA ratings and despite several efforts we couldn't even get return phone calls or emails. It was maddening to talk to the two other shops that kept promising return phone calls that never came, whereas Aquarius II was professional and accommodating.
Monterey is always an interesting place to dive and Aquarius IIis who we will dive with from here on! Thanks ScottWritten 23 March 2016
Frequently Asked Questions about Monterey
- These are the best places for adventurous scuba & snorkeling in Monterey:See more adventurous scuba & snorkeling in Monterey on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for adrenaline seekers looking for scuba & snorkeling in Monterey:See more scuba & snorkeling for adrenaline seekers in Monterey on Tripadvisor