- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- A clean and comfortable lounge. Food was good and the beers and wines were cold. The staff were friendly and helpful.Written 10 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We attended a function recently at Summer Place - we had been there before.
It was a themed evening and the decor was really good. Tables laid to perfection.
The organisation is subtle - speeches are made to allow the chefs to cope. The starter was cassava gnocchi with fish and a Mozambique sauce - coconut and piri piri! Just up our street.
A choice of 3 main courses lamb (I don't like lamb!), fish with Senegalese rice and vegetables and a Congolese vegetarian meal which was spicy. My wife and I shared.
There was a wide array on a dessert buffet with cheese stacked like a wedding cake!
Our waiter Brian deserves a special mention for excellent service.
All rounded off with a discoWritten 10 July 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- So this was my third time visiting to South Africa and prior to my third time coming I discovered that there was a library built in Soweto in honor of Rosa Parks. I actually google it and watch a YouTube video. This library was built when President Barack Obama was in office, it is an average size library with a few computers and lots of books. This library is guarded by a security guard. I wasn't there for a long time but it was one of my must see. Lol. So I highly recommend taking Uber to this library, it's not really a great choice to take public transportation or to be walking through Soweto especially if you are not familiar with the area. Lol. I actually was on the Sightseeing bus in Johannesburg and I paid for the Soweto extension which give you a short tour of Soweto. The Soweto extension tour allow you to hop off and on at certain key points in Soweto where staff is at. I let the staff know what my party wanted to do and they gave us a time to be back at the location to take the next shuttle. From that location we took an Uber to the library, about an 10 minute ride. The staff let us tour the library and he gave us a brief detail and history of the building. After our walk around we took an Uber to the return location and finish our tour. Great experience, no problem.Written 8 April 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The city library is in a great monumental building in Joburg's central business district. The building was completed in 1935, but recently renovated in 2012 when a new structure was added in the atrium.
There is a newspaper reading room.
Open on weekdays from 9AM to 5PM. Saturdays only in the morning.
I liked the sculptures and reliefs and other decorations in the old section. Beautiful art work.Written 10 February 2022