- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
Showing results 1-30 of 163
What travellers are saying
- I am almost always happy with my travels on the Gautrain. The train is always clean, the stations are immaculate, the staff helpful and professional. The train pretty much arrives on time and one can get to your destination on time without having to deal with traffic. The greatest pleasure is to be "whishing" by faster than the cars on the freeway.
The challenge with the Gautrain is to know what kind of transport one can get at the station you arrive at. I have found that while the buses are good, well managed and have good drivers that to rely on the buses is potentially problematic (there are no buses on the weekends, there are road blocks and strikes..). I then tend to rely on Uber but at some stations the Uber drivers cannot park close to the station due to vandalism by the taxi drivers, Sandton and Hatfield are particularly bad in this regard. If you are "in the know" you can walk a few blocks from these stations and still get an Uber but this is not ideal for the uninitiated.
I think that it would be great if the walkways from the stations were nicer - Sandton shopping center is close to the station but the five minute walk to the shops not wonderful. Rosebank is good in this respect and this was the reason I chose to go to Rosebank on this trip as I had my granddaughter with me. She and a friend and the friends mother. We went to Rosbank for coffee and cake. Kids had not been on the train before - so this was very exciting. Staff on the train were very kind to the kids.Written 24 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Fantastic experience with Shuttle King. We used them for two trips during our vacation. On each trip, the drivers were on time (early), were very friendly, drove clean shuttles and drove safely. Fully recommend Shuttle King, especially our two drivers Winton and Marinda!Written 28 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I contacted Moses to arrange four JNB transfers . Communication by email, text and phone before and during our trip was easy and all was problem-free. His vehicles were very comfortable and we felt very safe with his driving. We did not have time for his city tour on this trip but enjoyed his company and conversation so much we will not miss out next time.Written 2 February 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you need a transfer, look no futher! It was incredibly easy to arrange everything with Ronnie, and our driver Peter was superb.Written 21 January 2023
- Rea Vaya is one of Joburg's city bus operators with a network covering most important parts of the city. You can only use their buses if you have purchased a plastic card (price 35 Rand). You can load money on the card. A short distance with a Rea Vaya bus will cost 9 Rand.
Keep in mind that Rea Vaya buses are not frequent on Saturdays and Sundays. Their card can not be used for other means of public transport like Metrobus or Gautrain.
Generally safe if you are in a station or on a bus. However, walking to and from a bus stop even in the center of town is often problematic. Especially if you are a foreigner, you will be targeted by gangs (also during the day).
Particularly drivers may be rather indifferent and not very friendly. E.g. I asked a driver to warn me to get off in Melville. He didn't. On the way out of the bus he said "If you don't know where to get off, you should not get on this bus."
If travelling to and from Parkstation in CBD use the Rea Vaya bus station Parkstation West. From there it is relatively safe to reach the main hall of the Railway station and Bus terminals.Written 10 February 2022
- Brian is 100% reliable, efficient, knows his stuff. No reservations about anyone using him for this service. He is not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for in life.Written 16 November 2019
- It’s was so nice exciting the airport and know a secure and friendly driver was there to meet us. Great experienceWritten 15 October 2022
- It was an excellent guieded Tour with MR Patrick. He showed us The different parts of Johannesburg and we made stops along The way. He knew alot about The history of Johannesburg, because He grew up here under The Apartheid Times. We also tried Local South African food in Soweto, really good!
We also visit his friend Who lived in Soweto.
If u ever go to Johannesburg u have to make sure u have a guieded Tour with Khanyile transport services and MR Patrick.Written 28 December 2019
- I booked 2 tours with Stephenson Adventures and I would book all of them if I could. Both of my guides were awesome people with a wealth of knowledge and immense patience. I will recommend them over and over again to anyone who is traveling to anywhere they are offering tours. I wish I had more time to book more with them. Also, I was solo and felt so safe with them!Written 5 February 2023
- I cannot recommend Barry highly enough! He deserves more than 5 stars.
We used Barry for transfers to and from Johannesburg to Pilanesberg. He was easy to communicate with prior to our arrival.
He's accommodating, punctual, informative, knowledgeable and great company to be with. We felt safe in his company.
We also used Barrys services for a day trip to include Soweto and Ukutula Game Reserve (to walk with the Lions); which will provide memories that will last a lifetime thanks to Barrys enthusiasm.
When we next visit Jo'burg, Barry will be our first point of contact, to plan our transfers and adventures.
Thank you Barry.Written 12 January 2023
- I booked an airport transfer via booking.com and was scheduled with tshepiso shuttle services. While waiting for my luggage, Mark called me to make sure I had arrived and to say he was waiting for me. I was delighted to be met by a lovely gentleman who drove so carefully and at the speed limit on the national highway while providing excellent conversation. The car was immaculately clean and well maintained. I would highly recommend their service to anyone visiting Johannesburg for the first time. You will be met with a smile and transferred safely.Written 21 December 2022
- Booked a shuttle from Port Elizabeth airport to Bukela Game Lodge and return trip back. Drivers were prompt on both occasions - despite poor roads. Good IT system as well - changes are emailed speedily.Written 25 December 2021
- They never let you down! Always reliable, friendly service and safe drivers! Used them for many events, from hens parties to concerts.Written 25 February 2019
- I came across G and L Shuttle & Tours when looking online. What a great find.
I wanted to book a private airport transfer from OR Tambo airport to my friends home nearby. Got a quote from Graham and Linda and decided to book them.
I was told in advance who the driver would be and where he would meet me within the arrivals hall. My flight arrived in around 10pm and trusted Ted was waiting there for me and transported me swiftly and safely to my destination.
Delighted with how everything was dealt with and I most certainly will be using their services on my next trip to South Africa. Great service, thank you so much. Most certainly recommend.Written 29 December 2018
- Super, professional, friendly and safe service from City Link Cabs. From booking, timekeeping, through to cleanliness of the car and my knowledgeable and friendly driver Norman, everything went smoothly. Highly recommend City Link Cabs and Norman. My company has frequent regional and international visitors to our Johannesburg offices and I will be recommending City Link Cabs to them for consideration as a preferred service provider, as well as recommending to my friends on a personal level. Very good value fares too! Thank you!Written 12 March 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Johannesburg
- These experiences are best for transportation in Johannesburg:
- Soweto Township Cultural Tour incl Apartheid Museum and Nelson Mandela House
- 1-3 Passenger Private Johannesburg - Airport Transfer
- Airport Transfers Johannesburg
- Private Johannesburg Airport Transfer
- Johannesburg exploration tour(Jo-burg/Soweto & Apartheid museum)