Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Johannesburg
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Lots of information, but this meant there was a awful lot of reading to do. An interesting idea was that your entry ticket meant you were randomly allocated white or non-white status and you had to enter the museum by the appropriate door. We felt this was good, but more could have been made of it during the visit.Written 31 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I am almost always happy with my travels on the Gautrain. The train is always clean, the stations are immaculate, the staff helpful and professional. The train pretty much arrives on time and one can get to your destination on time without having to deal with traffic. The greatest pleasure is to be "whishing" by faster than the cars on the freeway.
The challenge with the Gautrain is to know what kind of transport one can get at the station you arrive at. I have found that while the buses are good, well managed and have good drivers that to rely on the buses is potentially problematic (there are no buses on the weekends, there are road blocks and strikes..). I then tend to rely on Uber but at some stations the Uber drivers cannot park close to the station due to vandalism by the taxi drivers, Sandton and Hatfield are particularly bad in this regard. If you are "in the know" you can walk a few blocks from these stations and still get an Uber but this is not ideal for the uninitiated.
I think that it would be great if the walkways from the stations were nicer - Sandton shopping center is close to the station but the five minute walk to the shops not wonderful. Rosebank is good in this respect and this was the reason I chose to go to Rosebank on this trip as I had my granddaughter with me. She and a friend and the friends mother. We went to Rosbank for coffee and cake. Kids had not been on the train before - so this was very exciting. Staff on the train were very kind to the kids.Written 24 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The big red hop on/hop off bus stopped right outside the Holiday Inn in Rosebank and took us directly to Constitution Hill. Here for a small fee you could join a guided tour which took you around and inside the cells at Number 4 prison and inside the Constitutional Court. I went on a Saturday so the court was not in session. If you want to observe a court case you would need to go on a week day when the court was sitting. You are free to walk around and inspect the other parts of the prison complex and I spent some time in the Women's Prison. Photography is allowed. Consult the bus timetable and then get back on for a visit to the Apartheid Museum. This is the easiest way to see these two important sites in Johannesburg.Written 22 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We had a guide who took us through the museum and it really made a difference. Reading the text on the TV screens and signs is not as impactful as having a relative of someone who participated in the march tell you the story. Go figure.
Photos are not allowed as you walk through this two level depiction of the roots and fallout of the march. At the centre of it all is Hector Pieterson, a 12-year-old South African schoolkid. He was shot and killed by police during the Soweto uprising; black students protesting mandatory teaching in Afrikaans, a language that mostly white and coloured people spoke.
The story is very a emotional, angering one. Be prepared to be affected by the sometimes graphic images and story.
Although the area outside the building is slightly vandalized from time to time, it remains a nice museum and pretty well maintained.Written 20 October 2022
- Mix of urban culture with food and drinks in downtown Johannesburg, safe with security.
Best lemonade by Life plus Lemons, you have to try......
Children and art play spaces and upcoming local designers showcase every weekend.Written 24 September 2022
- Was a fun day out with the family, kids had a lot of fun and learned a lot, just many cages was in maintenance. Always liked the jhb zoo and the kids had a real good experience of it as wellWritten 29 September 2022