- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
5 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Amazing place with lots of books. Definitely a big salute to kalainar. Every time I feel excited when Ithe collection of books and ambience of surroundings.Written 2 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A quaint library with a fantastic collection of books of all genre. The architecture of the building is itself a marvel.Written 25 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Peaceful, simple yet sublime, the loftiest intellectual and spiritual environment. On a trivial note, just loved the crowd of huge vegetarian bats in the gardens.Written 23 August 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The renovated and hype American Center located within the U.S. Consulate, Chennai is a new age Learning Space which caters to all age groups. The books and resources are obviously America centered.
Its also a place for people who are looking for authentic information on and about the USA, its culture and various other aspects. They also have a collection of Tamil books on and about USA apart from Tamil Translations of many American works.
It has a great collection of popular young adult and children's books apart from literary classics. The library also boasts of a good video collection which comprises of classics, blockbusters, new movies, children's movies, documentaries which can be viewed at the Center. These days they offer a wide variety of interactive programs.
Members can borrow books and journals and have free access to internet at the library. Anyone can walk in and use the space for reading and viewing the videos. All that a person needs is a valid, original Govt issued ID.
One of the biggest drawbacks is the lack of parking space. Its advisable to use public transport while visiting this place. Also they do not allow any electronic items inside the premises. All electronic items needs to be switched off and handed over at the security deposit along with the original ID while entering. (Please check the website for the security instructions). The Library works only during weekdays. It does not provide any food or snack. So plan accordingly if you are visiting the place. Anytime between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm is ideal for visiting.
Despite these little hassles, its still a great place to visit and spend time with kids and friends, if you have the time.
Some tips for visitors:
Please be patient at the security gate as it takes time for the process.
Stick to the security instructions as this is the Consulate premises and they are quite strict with the regulations.
Photocopies of any ID will not be accepted,
Kids below 15 years need to be accompanied by an adult and don't need IDs. School IDs are accepted.
You can bring one or two of your personal text books to read. Many students prepare for their exams as it is quiet without any mobiles. They take a break by checking their emails and watching a movie.
You will be asked to leave exactly at 5 p.m. - the closing time. So its better to make a move a few minutes in advance.
The staff are generally very helpful. You can approach them to know about the services and membership privileges. They are very obliging.
Avoid making noise in the Library and handle the various resources with care. especially when you have young kids with you.Written 12 April 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is good place to visit with friends and family members. Spend half day time with family and relax here.Written 30 September 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.