Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Goma
What travellers are saying
- Visit the most active volcano on earth
- Incredible landscape and views of Goma and Kivu lake
- Virunga is awesome!
- Phisically very demanding: only recommended for people in very good shape
- Freezing temperatures at the peak: be sure to have pro equipment
- Bring your own food & at least 8L of water
- Really dangerous: the week after we did the expedition, 12 rangers were killed by rebels...Written 23 August 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I attempted to visit Virunga twice. Once in March of 2020 and once in July of 2021. My first attempt was called off in the 2 days prior due to the initial COVID lockdowns. My second was called off due to an uptick in cases in Goma and the formation of a Covid secure bubble for the gorillas. It was disappointing both times, but the Virunga staff, particularly Mouse, Queen, and Kevin were immensely helpful in communicating my options and in helping me sort out logistics. I still entered Congo since my visa was valid, and I visited Kahuzi-Biega national park on my own to see the lowland gorillas. I returned for a quick stay on Tchegera Island, and Kevin and Queen were really helpful in making sure that I was PCR tested on time for my departure flight, and that I was assisted in passing through immigration in Goma to board my flight out. I can't recommend them enough, and hopefully one day I can make a third attempt at Virunga!Written 5 August 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The chef, the staff, the manager all know their repetitive clients, always good staying their. food and service are all so good. Only thing is we dont have bathtabs but showers, hope you think of having some bathtabs, these would be great for weekends with champagne ;) . defo a hotel to reccomend.Ohhhhh and the spa OMG simply amazingWritten 19 August 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We moved in a group of friends and booked a safari with karibu Congo and were much impressed by how the guide Baraka was very much informed about the great lakes region, flora and fauna, he moved us to the mountain gorillas it was nice though 2 of our colleagues didn't make it to see the gorillas due to personal reasons, we later extended our trip to akagera national park in the southern pert of Rwanda it was so amazing. Baraka is the guy to go with, he told us the history of Rwanda and how the country has managed to heal from the sad stories of genocide and the government policy of unity and reconciliation which was a great move. I can refer Baraka to anyone who would wish to move to great lakes region.Written 16 January 2023
- We visited DRC for 2 days with Congo Tourism Gate. We went to see the gorillas in Kahuzi-Biega national park. Everything went smoothly and it was a truly amazing experience. We were the only tourists and we spent an hour really close to a lowland gorilla family of 13. Due to the nature of the terrain, we found it better seeing the gorillas here in DRC than we did seeing them in Uganda. We would highly recommend this tripWritten 22 January 2023
- Best of the best. We left with powerful experiences from not only the gorillas, but also from visiting local communitiesWritten 7 October 2022
- We spent 10 days in North and South Kivu with Kivu Travel and had an amazing time visiting the gorillas of Kahuzi-Biéga National Park in Bukavu as well as Tchegera Island near Goma. We were very well taken care of thoughout our whole stay and our guides were amazing. I love the fact that by travelling with Kivu Travel, you also support local projects to empower especially women and children in the region.Written 3 August 2022
- This gentleman I trusted without knowing him. I transferred money to him and he helped me booking a domestic flight . Later he helped me arrange a wonderful boat trip with a local boat. From Kisangani over the Congo river. When some things went wrong he helped sufficiently. The boat with many locals living and cooking on it was an exceptional congolais expierence . He didn’t charge much. If ever travel to Congo contact him. You won’t regret itWritten 15 October 2022
- I did a 10 day trip with CLG and their guide Luc through Katanga region riding my own motorbike. Although not an ordinary trip and a bit complicated in the preparation specially due to paperwork, Christian and his crew worked tirelessly to get everything together and make it happen. On the ground in DRC it was extremely helpful to have Luc at my side who is speaking all necessary local languages. And since i don´t speak french it was also great that Luc speaks english. Luc´s a super nice chap who stayed calm and cool even when situations got stressy and complicated. I enjoyed it a lot to travel with him and share this great experience riding a motorbike through DRC. Of course, DRC is not an easy destination, but with CLG you are in the best of hands. Special thanks to Luc for sharing this with me and Christian for the fantastic preparation and support from start to end (and even my ongoing travels during that trip) and of course to everyone else involved from the CLG crew. Highly recommended!Written 21 December 2022
- Been following Rock on his social media pages for a long time and I have always wanted to go to nyiragongo and it’s been on my bucketlist for some time.
As soon as I found friends to join me for the hike, I didn’t hesitate to contact Rock. He is responsive and very helpful. He had everything organized in a short period of time.
He met us in Gisenyi and transfered us to our hotel in goma, the next morning he picked us up and we join other tourists that were hiking.
The hike is good, not difficult as other people claim even if it’s difficult, you will never realize because the views and the land scape are worth the efforts.
The crater is mesmerizing and I never wanted to go back. Rock and his team of porters, chef and rangers are the best of all the time. They will make your trip unforgettable.
I recommend that everyone should go right now before the rest of the world realizes how dope it is and I would recommend that you ask for rock as your guide because he is the best in the whole of Congo area.Written 20 November 2019
- This was a trip originally organised and planned for 2020. That didn’t happen due to the obvious!! Australia didn’t let us travel again until November 2021. Emmanuel from Okapi Tours kept in constant contact with me and fixed everything!! He had to change our Gorilla and Chimpanzee trekking permits about 4 times!! We eventually got to go on our 2020 tour in 2022 thanks to Emmanuel’s determination! Thank you soo much for a wonderful trip! It was certainly worth waiting for . It surpassed my expectations!!Written 19 July 2022
- We went to local markets it es really great christian speaks perfect English in the evening he showed us a great local restaurant all together we really liked itWritten 17 June 2021
- After a short stay in Kigali to attend to the Africa CEO forum where I met Veridique, the CEO of Kwafrika Travel, he convinced me to embark on a 4 days Congo Nyiragongo Volcano Hike and Mountain Gorilla Tracking. I was skeptical given the news I have always heard coming from the Eastern part of Congo but the young CEO was very persuasive. I left Kigali early in the morning to reach Goma 4 hours later, right after we proceeded to Virunga National Park accompanied with rangers (who were armed). My local guide was as said above from Kwafrika Travel, he looked knowledgeable and professional as he was putting on branded clothes and he carried a couple of books.
We had the overnight in Kibumba Tented Camp, the tent is furnished and filled with all necessities making it no different from a luxurious suite: good food, a bar, private shower, comfortable bed etc. There are two mess tents where dinner and other meals are served. There is also a lounge for relaxing and sharing experiences of the adventures you are yet to take and have already taken.
The following day, we started walking along a forest path and walked for quite some times, being a runner, I really enjoyed the motion.
The path was at times almost carpeted with butterflies. Our guide, Rocklee (with 5+ years of experience in Virunga) usually heard the gorillas before he saw them, then pointed them out to us. He was knowledgeable, nonintrusive but totally available, and a pleasure to go with. The rangers looked solemn until we talked with them and they seemed to be passionate about their jobs, conservation of the park home to the endangered mountain gorillas, one of them told me that the future generation needs to see these gorillas reason why we need to keep the park safe.
Arriving in Kibati for Mount Nyiragongo Hike, Rocklee introduced us to our porters, the guys who would bring our stuffs to the peak of Nyiragongo, then we went for a briefing before embarking on a 4 hours Nyiragongo hike, one of the most challenging things I have had to do.
Nyiragongo’s summit rim is largely devoid of vegetation and that day was dusted with snow. From the rim, I could peer down into a churning lava lake (the world's largest lava lake), see and hear hot gases exploding up through a mosaic of molten lava.
Eastern Congo is your destination of choice for value for money and diversity of experiences, tracking the gorillas for example, you will have to pay 3 to 5 times more in Uganda, Rwanda compared to the DR Congo plus you have the Nyiragongo Volcano which is absent in those areas. Kwafrika Travel is your best choice when it comes not only to visit Congo but also to arrange safaris in East Africa where they operate too. With their first-hand ground knowledge and experience, their tailor-made itineraries are flawless (I will definitely be back in Africa next year for the 21 days Congo-Rwanda-Kenya and Zanzibar safaris)! They know they way around, are in daily contact with the National Park authorities and work at the best possible prices. Their management team have also personally experienced all the trips, accommodation and activities, I can tell as I could hear the CEO of Kwafrika when in Kigali vouching for all details of the experience.
If you're not either adventurous and enthusiastic or in reasonably good shape, or both, this safaris would be uncomfortably difficult but it's definitely a once in a lifetime experience.Written 30 April 2019
- We recently toured Rwanda and DRC and wanted a good local guide rather than someone from a big overseas company. And Joseph was perfect - multi-lingual, full of knowledge, never tired to answer our questions and more importantly he knew the right contacts to ensure our border crossings between Rwanda and DRC was smooth. He is passionate about his work and the land and people of Congo. Hoping to come back again and explore more areas of DRC with Joseph.Written 20 April 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Goma
- The best outdoor activities in Goma according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Goma on Tripadvisor
Goma Attractions Information
|Local Time||Saturday, 5:13 pm|