- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
What travellers are saying
- The whole trip was incredible! The boat ride over was smooth and comfortable, our stay at Kanimambo Lodge was five star! Our hike with Angelo through the mangroves to the Lighthouse was fun. Our snorkelling at Santa Maria was breathtaking with all the fish, a turtle and such pristine and clear waters. The Biologica was a little run down but the curator, Mr Queri Hobjuane , was extremely friendly and well versed in all island information. The island is a must-visit if you are in, or even near, Mozambique...Written 30 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Left Maputo crossing the Maputo-Katembe bridge, we continued south towards Ponta do Ouro. About 80 km south of Maputo it is clearly indicated that the road enters the Maputo Special Reserve and about 500m later there is a small unpaved road on the left leading to the Futi Gate. Here, after paying the entrance, you can access the reserve with your car but only if you have a 4WD. The tracks are narrow but not particularly demanding even if in some places the presence of sand justifies the need for 4WD. The cars in the park were very few and we hardly met other tourists. Proceeding in the park you meet different environments ranging from dense forest, grasslands, wetlands and small lakes. In the dense forest we saw small antelopes, such as red forest duiker (Cephalophus natalensis) and suni (Nesotragus moschatus) very difficult to photograph and some elephants. Reaching the vast areas of grasslands, we saw countless impalas, as well as a few dozen of blue wildebeest (Connochaetes taurinus) and Burchell's zebra (Equus quagga). In the wetlands we met an impressive herd of elephants, many of them young specimens, which slowly approached us to cross the road and disappear into the forest. Proceeding further along the extensive wetlands we encountered small groups and solitary specimens of elephants, waterbuck (Kobus ellipsiprymnus) e common warthog (Phacochoerus africanus). The fact that some of the animals moved away when we were still some distance away made us suspect that poaching is still a problem in this reserve, in which there are still villages. However, the fauna is rich and, the numerous young specimens, tell us in good health and on the increase and therefore we must certainly praise this work of recovery of the environment and reintroduction of animals. In Lagoa Chingute we found hippos, but we couldn't see crocodiles due to the thick reeds on the shore of this small lake. Finally, we saw several giraffes not far from the gate, while there were numerous birds that we were able to observe during the visit. We spent a pleasant day in the park during which we saw and photographed many animals. What the park is missing is predators with a dramatically failed first attempt to reintroduce the cheetah. However, this can be an interesting visit for those who are in Maputo and want to dedicate a day to nature.Written 22 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Botanical garden full of large trees that guarantee fair shading. Although there are small birds of various species, what makes this garden unique is the presence of a large colony of bats. This large fruit bat is the straw-coloured fruit bat (Eidolon helvum), a highly social species that feed at night, so during the day these megabats, with wings spanning up to 75 cm, can be see resting hanging upside down in clusters of dozens of specimens and moving among the colony. In the Gardens there is a small pond which requires some maintenance. During our visit the garden was quiet and safe.Written 30 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Good experience. A simple way of getting away from Maputo. Good lunch and easy ride (don't go in February or September as the chances of getting bad winds are high. It's the perfect attraction for early Winter in April or May. I hope they do more Sunset Cruises as it is the perfect way of seeing Maputo from the Bay. Haven't had a chance to do one of those.Written 14 March 2017
- Start your bargain with a tenth or third of the price and work your way up to a compromise. For example, the T-shirts started at MZN 8000 but whittled it down to 4K. They also use the line that you take pity by paying the exorbitant price. Not for the soft-hearted/gullible tourist or else get ripped off.Written 11 August 2018
- Unforgettable experience to be able to ride a horse on the beach but sad that you can't really swim out due to currents. We enjoyed playing in the water and on the sand, it was beautiful.Written 30 September 2022
- It happen to be close by, and the owner of Hotel Namaacha advise us visit this small dam. Well, it was around 40º C....quite refreshing !!! Nobody bothers you, also, if you can buy local handycraft.Written 23 December 2014
- Monument to The Great Trek. It is hidden in Maputo but very well kept as it is recognized as a valuable piece of the history of the city.
There isn't much to see but it is always nice to find a piece of history that is kept so that we don't forget.Written 20 December 2016
- Although many local people swim at the beach in Costa do Sol, the water is generally considered too polluted to swim. It is however a nice place for a stroll, to see the local crowd and to eat grilled chicken or fish. At low tide the beach gets very wide and it is nice to walk far out. Make sure know when the tide is coming back so you are not caught in the water.Written 4 October 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Maputo
- These experiences are best for nature & parks in Maputo:
- 7 Days 6 Nights budgeted Escape to Mozambique adventure
- Eswatini (Swaziland) Cultural 1-day Tour
- Kruger Park 1-day Safari from Maputo
- Economic 1-Day Kruger Safari from Maputo
- Kruger Park 2-day Safari from Maputo
- These are the best places for kid-friendly nature & parks in Maputo:See more nature & parks for children in Maputo on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly nature & parks in Maputo:See more budget-friendly nature & parks in Maputo on Tripadvisor