What travellers are saying
- Seeing the maroon bells is a must do if you are in aspen. We reserved a parking spot and arrived a little after 7am. There were only a few others there and it was so beautiful and peaceful and you get to see the mountain reflection before it gets windy. Take the Scenic Loop walk and if you can handle rocky trails then also hike out to Crater Lake. You will be rewarded if you go early becuase it gets busy later. Also please don't step over the ropes at the bells. they are trying to regrow natural vegetation and you can get the same photo 10 feet away. The rangers will also come by and ticket you but it's disrespectful to the nature we are all there to see.Written 22 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It's all a matter of opinion but if the weather is fair I would absolutely not describe this as "white knuckle" or anything like that. The road up from Leadville is perfectly wide enough and opens to fantastic views. The pass itself is what it is, there are toilets there and a couple of trails to explore.Written 14 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amongst all of everything that Aspen has, here is a tranquil oasis of calm running alongside the Roaring Fork river. It certainly is worth half an hour to wander through the garden, reading the quotations from some of John's best known songs and trying to imagine his inspiration for a fine body of songs.Written 14 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I guess it's a must do in Aspen and certainly there is much to see and do at the top whether it be playing frisbee golf, giant chess, hiking or simply lapping up the views in or outside of the very generous restaurant.
It certainly isn't a high above the ground gondola and I can't see why people would have any major issues with riding it. Yes it goes to above 11,000ft but it's far from white knuckle.
My only negative is the price. Yes it's Aspen, but the cost is hard to justify and was difficult to swallow.Written 14 September 2023
- Great experience. You need to reserve a free online shuttle and park at the Aspen Highland Parking Deck $6/hour--$40 max day. We hiked to the Crater Lake (ROCKY) (preferred/less crowded) and the smaller Maroon Bells Lake-CROWDED. Very accommodating. Very organized to hand the larger crowds.Written 18 August 2022
- As a solo female traveller I felt safe along this route, it’s so peaceful and beautiful! I recommend renting an e-bike from Aspen to go as far as possible on the trail with little effort. I wish I could do it every day!!Written 25 May 2023
- We had a great day skiing Ajax. We parked at the rio grande garage and had a very quick shuttle ride to the gondi. The shuttle states that it only runs every 10 minutes and the garage only takes credit cards. There were limited spots in the garage and at 9 am we grabbed the last, very narrow spot. There were lockers right at the base and we even used free cubbies for our boot bags.
There is absolutely no beginner terrain and most of the blues were steep but well groomed. We banked a lot of vert, but the runs were a little repetitive since most of the lifts are more for laps. The ride all the way to the bottom is long and fun, but then the gondi ride back up is also rather long.
My kids did the dumps, which they claimed were a little hard to follow and very aggressive. They were rewarded with some hidden shrines that were pretty cool.
We had lunch at the top (sky deck i believe). The food was good and there’s a nice fireplace.
We grabbed a snack later at Bonnie’s. It was ok, the cookies were very good and the deck was nice and sunny.Written 17 February 2023
- If you like advanced skiing or snowboarding this is the place for you. Although it does have easy runs. The thing I love most about this mountain is that there are a ton of wood trails. Definitely recommend itWritten 1 October 2022
- Each year we start the season at Buttermilk to get our ski legs back. The staff is super friendly and eager to help if needed. We look forward to returning next season!Written 6 January 2023
- The first time we went, my wife and I crossed the bridge and did a longer trail. It is a rather strenuous walk so be prepared!
The last two times, we took the trail to the left of the bridge which is a short, easy walk to the bas of the grottos's. You can actually get better pictures from this path than the longer one which brings up out on top of the Grottos.Written 24 October 2022
- This was an enjoyable walk through some old buildings - the inside of the saloon is also a museum (and could have used more light as in open windows so you could see the exhibits).
There is a $5 per person charge for admission and no dogs are allowed.
The River Run Trail also goes through the property and is beautiful and very peaceful.
This is a great place to spend an afternoon.Written 1 September 2022
- About 2 hours round trip and heavy rocky paths. Not too kid friendly with all the rocks and boulders, but a great view at the top.Written 8 August 2022
- Rented E-Bikes and road up Castle Creek Road to eat at Pine Creek Cookhouse! Breathtaking views along the way! Just beautiful. Saw many riders both on regular bikes and e-bikes..Written 14 September 2021
- We saw "Beautiful, the Carole King Musical" in a tent inside the John Denver Sanctuary. Aspen does not disappoint! The person playing Carole King also played her on Broadway in New York. That tells us that anything put on in this theater will be top notch.
We dressed too warmly, as the tent stayed at a lovely temperature despite the heat of the day and the colder temperatures at night.Written 9 July 2023
- A nice visit to the preserve in the middle of Aspen. Beautiful nature walk and friendly staff. ACES also provides free guided walks on top of Aspen Mountain and at the Maroon Lake trailhead.Written 28 August 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Aspen
Aspen Attractions Information