- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
12 places sorted by traveller favourites
What travellers are saying
- The row boat ride was really good. This can be a good one time experience. But they were providing ride only to a short distance. It’s up to you to bargain and pay them little more to take you for additional distance.Written 18 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Devanathaswamy temple at Thiruvendhipuram,in cuddalore is one of the best historical temples.This Perumal is elder to the God in Tirupathy.A group of sages wanted to have dharshan of Lord Vishnu;they were shown this place by divine ordainment,where sage Markandeya and his daughter Boodevi were doing penance.Lord Vishnu gave them dharshan in the most resplendent form.Vows made for Tirupathi could be fullfilled here but not vice versa.People come here to clear hurdles in the marriage and also pray for a child.Thayar is Hemambujavalli.She is also called Senkamalathayar.
Among the historical Vishnu temples this is the only one to have a shrine for Hayagreevar.He is atop the hill.Another feature of the temple is Lakshmi Narasimhar having his consort on his right lap.
The temple has a separate shrine for Vedanta Desikar.He did penance here for 40 years.He chiselled his own idol;His shrine has a separate flagstaff.The presiding deity has an eye on his forehead and lotus in his hand that shows he is a Trimurthy.
The temple is on the banks of river Kedlam.The theertham:Garuda theertham.The sthala virutcham is vilvam.Written 14 August 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The movie 'Lion King' was released in the year 1994. It garnered 2 academy awards and led to the broadway adaption later. But do you know who was the first 'Lion King' of the world - It is the 'Lord Narasimha' who is worshipped by the Hindus. Lord Narasimha, as the name implies, is a combination of 'Nara' and 'Simha' which means Man and Lion respectively. He is the fourth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Around 1400 years ago, this temple in Singirikudi was built by the Pallava kings. As with most of the Hindu temples, the construction of the temples is undertaken by many generations of the rulers.
The latest of the rulers to have contributed to the construction of the outer wall of the temple is Raja Tej Singh (popularly known in Tamil as Thesingu Raasan of Genji fort). His courtier Darani Singh and his wife are remembered, and a small statue is dedicated to this couple in the outer wall of the temple.
Other things that you might know by now –
1) 3 temples in a straight line. (Singirikudi - Poovarasankuppam - Parikkal)
Imagine this sort of geospatial positioning being achieved 1000+ years ago...
Truly Amazing ancient Indians.
2) Lord is seen with 16 hands and in each hand with different kinds of weapon that were used
to defeat the Asura - Hiranyakashpan
3) The dressing of the Lord is changed during the day as the day progresses. Young
(Bala) avatar in the mornings and Angry (ukhram) avatar in the evenings. The time at which the Lord killed Hiranyakashyap.
4) Temple is facing west while most of the temples face east
5) Outer walls have different postures of the Lord Narasimhar
6) Lovely Temple Pond(with big fishes) and a temple chariot
7) Number of shops available in the front of the temple which sell Pooja materials
8) No need to remove shirt in this temple (unlike the Poovarasankuppam and Parikkal)Written 21 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Visited this temple of human body with varaha(pig)faced structure. Excellent car ongs are there from the entrance arch itself.
A female with front and back view excellently carved with fine details like long hair dressing with twisted pattern usual in south indian women folk ....very niceWritten 4 November 2019
- A very beautiful temple.This temple rejunuvates you the moment you enter it.The Periyanayagi Amman shrine is as beautiful as the Padaleeswarar shrine.The entrance to both the shrines are huge that makes the deity visible from distance.HR and CE maintenance is lacking.Written 13 August 2021
- The veeranam lake or the veers Narayanan eri is a delightful water body in the cuddalore district. The springs of this lake supplies water to the Chennai city. It is an off-beat picnic spot.Written 21 November 2018
- This was my second time to Silver beach and I was pleasantly surprised. The first visit was quite disappointing as the beach was in shabby condition. However, this time it was clean and well maintained, maybe due to covid situation. There were many policemen patrolling at the beach area and not allowing people after it was dark. They have also developed a nice periphery road surrounding the beach where you will find a lot of joggers in the morning. Sunrise is quite stunning at Silver beach and should be on your 'not to miss" list if you are an early riser.Written 1 February 2021
- Attend the festival of lord MURUGA Sri Kantha Shasti Mahortsavam Nov 2018. It's very awesome and wonderful.Written 12 November 2018
- Excellent and an Awesome temple, maintained in a very clean manner. Not to miss this one and the Saranarayana perumal temple, which is very nearby as well, while visiting Panruti.
SriramWritten 19 January 2020
- This old temple of Lord Shiva is located near the Tirupaddiripuliyur railway station and is a must-visit if you are at Cuddalore. The sanctum of periyanayagi is little outer on the walkway of the Shiva temple. The temple is generally less crowded.Written 3 June 2018
- This is a temple for Lord Shiva. It feels very and nice to visit this temple and it gives peace of mind.Written 11 January 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Cuddalore
- The best outdoor activities in Cuddalore according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Cuddalore on Tripadvisor
- The most popular things to do in Cuddalore with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Cuddalore on Tripadvisor