Top Attractions in Colchester
What travellers are saying
- We enjoyed the zoo except for three things.
1. It was assumed that everyone has a Smartphone. We don't and as a consequence of this we could not have the benefit of the Zoo Experiences i.e.feeding the animals as we had no idea as to when or where they were occurring.
2. Paper maps are no longer provided which was a big issue for us. Yes there are maps dotted around the zoo but they are nowhere near as clear or as handy as a paper map. I am disabled and upon request we were give an accessibility map which was worse than useless as the print was so small.
3. Our biggest problem however was the lack of signage to take us back to the Exit. We are old age pensioners and easily get disoriented. We tried to find our own way out and asked a member of staff who managed to send us the wrong way which didn't help. By this time we were becoming over tired and very stressed. A second member of staff did give us the correct route but overall it took us nearly 45 minutes to find the exit. We may be old but we are not stupid. Why isn't the Exit shown on the signposts which would give a clear route to follow rather than the confusing maps (if you happen upon one)?Written 1 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I agree with other reviewers that the entrance fee is too high. Fortunately I was able to use my Gardeners World 2 for 1 card so £12.50 for two of us was probably about right. As you'd expect given the summer and drought that we've been experiencing much of the summer colour is gone but it was still very interesting to see how the planting and landscaping worked together. I came away with a few ideas for my own garden including some new plants to try. We spent about an hour and a half there including looking around the garden centre.
An added bonus was the wealth of wildlife - butterflies, dragon flies, bees and even a hornet in the wooded area. I'd like to return to the gardens at a different time of year but only if there was some concession on price.Written 23 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely park with great cafe and play park and clean public toilets. Interesting art work around the parks. Beautiful flowers and a lovely place to spend the dayWritten 22 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Stayed at waldegraves Holiday Park camping very clean spacious lovely food in the restaurant and really good elton john tribute act really lovely relaxed holidayWritten 20 September 2022
- Very interesting and great value. Superb guide and a worthwhile visit. Colchester is a great place and it’s definitely worth paying the little extra to do the guided tour. Fascinating!!Written 28 September 2022
- It was a lovely setting, we stopped off at a country pub. I have to say they were very friendly but the food needs a wide birth especially Mac & Cheese, very poor for £12, in fact one mouth full and that was enough. We visited there on the way to Five Lakes. Pub (The Dog and Pheasant). Try and take a wide birth.Written 19 August 2022
- Excellent wedding we were invited to for the weekend situated at Markshall estate. The food was excellent it would like especially to write a review for a member of the bar staff “Natasha “ who went above and beyond her role as bar staff and helped us immensely with arranging and helping us get Taxis back to Coggleshall. She helped me and my partner ring around trying to get a taxis back to our hotel which she didn’t need to do but did
A fantastic member of staffWritten 24 September 2022
- Cant say how much we enjoyed this trip, excellent value for money. From ordering the tickets, super easy, the instructions by email, great correspondence, to the boarding of the tender, which was a lovely part in itself, to arriving at Radio Caroline and meeting the volunteers and the DJs it all went like clockwork. Our guides were excellent, the tender skippper for his excellent seamanship getting us out and in of Mersey at low tide and his knowledge of the Ross Revenge pre Caroline era, not too much information just enough to realise what a colourful past this ship has had and kept us wanting for more. The music side was amazing our DJ guide had us almost reliving the piracy days! To see all the old LPs and learn of their journey from being confiscated and their return still in one piece, and how the DJs broadcast with the equipment, priceless. It was a pleasure to visit this historical part of my life and I truely hope more people will come and visit to enable this timeless piece of history be restored to its former glory. If you have time for one excursion this year, make it this one... you will not be disappointed.
Ps bought a wonderful sweat shirt super soft x
Linda, hubby and sonWritten 6 September 2022
- wonderful area to explore..great to have a lovely outdoor park in Colchester..freedom from the town..back to nature..you can stroll for milesWritten 20 August 2022
- Delicious cakes and teas in a beautiful relaxed setting. Friendly staff - recommend the Earl Gray fruit cake.Written 28 May 2022
- Went with friends to see Secret Affair. Parking is plentiful with a multi story car park within 5 minutes walk. Excellent sound quality, great atmosphere, fantastic venue.Written 21 February 2022
- This gem of a museum has some of the most friendly, informative and interesting staff we have ever met. My husband, 2 boys (9 and 11) had a wonderful hour and a bit exploring all the museum has to offer. Would highly recommend a stop here.Written 17 September 2022
- We performed our show ('The Paul Simon Story') at the Headgate Theatre last night - what a pleasure that was! Such an intimate little theatre with perfect acoustics, a great sound system and a comprehensive lighting rig. Even the dressing room was air-conditioned! The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful so the evening went very smoothly indeed. Very highly recommended whether you're a performer or a member of the audience!Written 23 July 2022
- We called in just about closing time and even though the lady in the shop had cashed up she was happy to help us and give us a free taster and we bought some sambuca which was amazing
It’s nice to see a successful vineyard in the ukWritten 2 May 2022
- Interesting museum that was recommended to me. Somewhere to pass some time and free entry. Lots of interesting things to see that span the different ages.Written 14 March 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Colchester