Points of Interest & Landmarks • Historic Walking Areas
Top Attractions in Guimaraes
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Very charming historic area with nice restaurants, stores, and coffee shops. A nice walk from the palace to the city center.Written 25 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A really lovely old square in the centre of Guimaraes with the most beautiful buildings surrounding it, the lovely Igreja (Church) da Oliveira to one side and in the square itself the eponymous olive tree and a small open Gothic chapel.
Plenty of places to eat and drink.Written 16 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- this church was beautiful and ornate inside! it was a treat to see the architecture and lear about the history.Written 27 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The castle looks imposing from the outside but there's not much to see inside the walls. Worth a visit if in Guimaraes but a special trip is not warranted.Written 13 January 2023
- The original capital of Portugal, this 15th century place sits on top of a hill with a beautiful surrounding it. Overlooks the city Guimaraes.Written 25 November 2022
- You get there directly by cable car that you take nearby the city center.
The park is beautiful and enjoys many points from which you can have a complete and wonderful view of the city. If you want to have an alternative experience then I recommend you bring a lunch basket, a towel and eat directly in the park (which many locals do).
If you want to see my tips just go to this link: https://www.tripadvisor.it/Trips/92555137/The%20northern%20region%20of%20PortugalWritten 3 May 2020
- While you are in Portugal, you are get used to the gothic churches with tonnes of goad. But this is something different. Built in the modern style, this hill top church hasn't got many attendees, and especially with this fact you've got that reverence feeling.Written 12 April 2020
- This is definitely worth the round trip ticket! The views of the city and the church at the top were just beautiful. I recommend taking a picnic with you as there are lots of great spots at the top.Written 3 November 2022
- This is the largest square in the historic district and is full of cafes and restaurants. A great place to sit outside under an umbrella and drink. The big church is here.Written 17 May 2022
- Wonderful hilltop site where Iron Age people from the Castro culture lived about 2200-2500 years ago. Well maintained, but wear good walking shoes. Fascinating place!Written 4 December 2022
- These beautiful public gardens in the middle of town ad a touch of elegance to an already lovely place.Written 11 July 2022
- We were totally charmed by the old city and think it is one of the most beautiful places we have been in Portugal. This narrow street is in the heart of the old town and you will want to stop and take many photos. In very good condition and lovely.Written 17 May 2022
- This church (Church of Our Lady of Consolation and the Holy Steps in English). It is a beautiful building from the outside. We were unable to go in but other reviews indicate that it is the exterior that is special. What makes its setting so fantastic, however, is the green expanse right in front of the church. This is the public gardens, Largo Republica do Brasil, an absolutely stunning green space.Written 11 July 2022
- Another small town square with a whole lot of history. Spend some time walking the area to see the churches and old buildings.Written 4 July 2022
- What a wonderful day I had. First the wonderful cable car ride to the park. The park offers spectacular views of the city and the surrounding area. A relaxing day and so typical of the beauty that is Portugal and their pride of their country. It has to be seen to be believed ! Trust me you will not be disappointed. Explore the entire city! More reviews to follow.Written 2 November 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Guimaraes
- The best day trips from Guimaraes according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Best of Braga and Guimaraes Day Trip from Porto
- Braga and Guimarães with Lunch Included - Small Group - Full Day
- Guimarães and Braga Small Group Tour with Lunch and Entries from Porto
- Porto: Guimarães and Braga Day Trip
- Private Full Day Tour of Guimarães and Braga
Guimaraes Attractions Information
|Local Time||Tuesday 9:53 AM|