Top Attractions in Hexham
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- We were blown away with what is on offer here at Vindolanda, we came without expectation and still were amazed. The lady on the reception desk was lovely and we had a good, informative tour guide. Chatting with the archeologist on the last day of 2022 excaation was a special experience, as was the museum. We particularly liked the written artefacts which really brought to life the past characters and people who lived in Vindolanda. That was definitely a highlight for us. We were amazed by the size of the museum, along with the number of artefacts which were on display. I really hope the excavation continues to be funded and supported as uncovering more artefacts and insights into the lives of previous settlers is crucial to our culture and history.Written 2 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A great visit full of wonderful historical facts and storiesd. The tiny crypt is very atmospheric. The volunteer guides are helful and know their stuff!Written 27 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A cracking bit of Hadrian’s wall - easily accessed from Walltown Crags Country park (pay and display parking). You do need to climb up a short stretch of steep, grassy path to get to the wall but it’s definitely worth it. Great views across the Northumberland countryside and some interesting history.Written 28 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Dropped in as passing and caught clash of the Romans fantastic event especially for children getting involved and cheering their side on to win. Actors all great, but staff in cafe miserable and after queuing for half an hour to be told no cream scones left, put a sign up maybe.Written 22 August 2022
- was great visit one of many we made over three days waether good too so that helped but always impressed by roman empire and what they achievedWritten 27 September 2022
- Really lovely building, you can go up on the roof to see the view from the top. The exhibition space is great. We saw The Lost Spells which was beautiful. The cafe is frustrating, we have been a few times now and it’s always the same. It could be gorgeous but the staff seem really inexperienced. The service is incredibly slow. It seems to be in need of a really good manager. It’s is a shame as the coffee and cakes are great.Written 30 August 2022
- An amazing selection of bird of prey live here at the farm. We did the Raptor Experience and spent some time on a guided tour with Mandy, an extremely knowledgable and experienced falconer who gave a detailed explanation of the life of working birds. Then we spent some time flying an owl, a kestrel and a harris hawk (i was awestruck, having an owl fly low and silent up to your wrist is an unforgettable experience) - an excellent day out, will be telling everyone i know to take a trip up to check it out :) will likely be back next year!Written 14 September 2022
- Steep climb to see wall but well worth it had joined english heritage day beofe and already saved half price of 15 mont ticket. Fatntastic vews from art installation alhtough i thought the art a blot on the beautiful landscape but all vredit to community that congtributedWritten 27 September 2022
- We had a fantastic time at alpaca encounters for my mums birthday. It was just the 3 of us so a small group. The alpacas are amazing with different personalities & we learnt so much about them all. Would definitely recommend to anyone!Written 19 September 2022
- Fabulous first visit to this excellent course. Free coach from station to track and back a big bonus as it's isolated.
Classic country track with a mish mash of facilities being employed as best they can with Covid demands.
I had club ticket which has a nice bar with ultra warm radiators a major bonus.
Lovely setting and staff were as helpful and friendly as you could hope for.
I'll be back.
An easy must do recommendation.Written 10 December 2021
- An absolute must for any sci-fi fan!
A truly fantastic collection, and a credit to its curator.
We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will definitely be going back.Written 9 September 2022
- Cherryburn is owned and administered by the National Trust. You had to Pre-book when we went in September (it is now closed for the winter). Cherryburn was the childhood home of Thomas Bewick an 18th century artist and probably the UK's best wood-engraver and someone I have to confess I did not really know about prior to my visit. The two rooms of the original house are accessible; one was being used to house an exhibition of 20 intricately engraved glass panels by Phoebe Connolly. There is also an engraved greenhouse again by Phoebe Connolly in the grounds. In the brothers house are some of Thomas's original engravings as well as an exhibition of printing presses.Written 26 October 2021
- This is such a beautiful, wild and extensive area of the British Isles. One can walk for miles and enjoy breathtaking scenery and spectacular views by day and enjoy star-filled clear skies by night. This is a very special area indeed and well worth visiting.Written 3 October 2021
- My daughters booked this as a family/ father's day present - perfect idea! We had a wonderful morning. Caroline and David were so welcoming. We fed a group of Alpacas and had a very interesting and entertaining introductory talk. Then we were each intoduced to our alpaca and took them for a lovely leisurely stroll through the countryside near Kielder reservoir before feeding them some carrots. Alpacas are so friendly but will pick up on human anxiety, so when leading them you need to focus on being calm yourself - which is a great way of dealing with stress. Alpaca therapy - who knew! The Alpacas seemed to love it and we did too! We will be back to see them again and would recommend Ferny Rigg Alpacas for anyone wanting to spend time with these beautiful animals. Thank you Caroline, Dave and Cherokee!Written 31 August 2022
- We called here for a breakfast stop en-route to Hadrian's Wall. Food was freshly prepared to order and bacon was nice and crispy. The cafe was spotlessly clean.Written 16 September 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Hexham
- The best day trips from Hexham according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Hadrian's Wall, Roman Britain & the Borders Small-Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
- Rosslyn Chapel and Hadrian's Wall Small Group Day Tour from Edinburgh
- Hadrian's Wall - Full Day - Up to 4 People
- The Romans and Hadrian's Wall Day Tour from Windermere
- Hadrian's Wall - Full Day - Up to 8 People