24 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
What travellers are saying
- Viewed Jog Falls from two sides. A great experience as there was ample water in the falls despite our visit during off season. Viewing platforms are being redone and once completed, should provide a very scenic view to the tourists.Written 23 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Kundadri is a beautiful hill top in the agumbe forest range, located near Agumbe, in Shimoga District of Karnataka, India. Amazing sunrise and sunset can be experienced at this place.
You walk up about 75 steps after parking the car. There is a Jain Basadi (Temple). There is a pond with water on the rocks.
The big question is how to reach the hill as there are no public transport available. Luckily, I visited on weekend. We stayed at Agumbe and from there its only 15 kms distance. From Agumbe one can bus going to Shimoga, hop on to it and get down at Guddekeri. From there if you are lucky, you will find some 3 wheeler autos which can take you to the top of the hill. Its a long distance of 9 kms and if you have enough time then you can walk. Fortunately, we got a lift by a car on the way and also while coming back. i wouldnt recommend a lift but if you are good at it, you can ask for it. Because im good at it and also we were only two. The second option is to hire a cab or an auto from Agumbe and third option is bring your vehicle.
As soon as you reach, you will awed by the architecture of Jain temple. They have recently colored it. The hill looks nothing like pictures, so dont be disappointed. there is a small pond where you can sit and relax and sunrise. Its always cloudy there. Its a beautiful and calm place. One can spend 2 hours and that is enough.
Washroom is available, no water. Carry your water bottles and food. No monkeys so dont worry about them. There is no ticket price.
For more you can follow on insta, youtube, fb on 'exploreoncycle'Written 19 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Never miss the treking to Kodachadri when in Kollur
After darshan in MOOKAMBIKA temple we went to kodachadri hills
We took a jeep to the hills they charge you Rs 470 per head (rates as on NOV 2022 ) The journey is around 40 Kms ,initially the roads are good ,passes through few small villages then enters the forest area the road is narrow ,muddy and rocky ,with roller coaster experience This is the place from where Goddess Saraswathi apperared before the Sage Shankaracharya during Penance .
There a small temple where Goddess Saraswathi appeared
Nothing to worry are the drivers are expert and vehicle in good condition
the drive is an experience that one should have
The last 1.6 Kms have to be trekked to reach the seat of Shankaracharya's meditation platform
once you are at the top you can experience nature ,good atmosphere
It is lovely experience to trek even for beginners
The positive energy derived after the trek down is immense and needs to be experiencedWritten 11 November 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The place is located on the banks of River Tungbhadra. It is quite scenic and beautiful, although very small. Its fun to watch the elephants of different ages doing their routine activities. But seeing them tied to trees with big iron chains is bit disheartening. The signages are only in local language and a big disappointment. The camp is clean but the toilet facilities are not well maintained.
Overall, it is a wonderful place to visit with family for an hour.Written 17 November 2023
- This place is at around 70km from Sagara on the way to bhatkal.There are no govt buses to reach this place but there are some private buses from sagara busstand to bhatkal and there is stop at the main road which is 2km away from the temple.One need to walk for 2km from the main road or we can hire a jeep for 100 rs per head and this jeep will drop near to temple steps.We need to climb 120 steps to reach the temple.There is one ancient shiva temple which believed to be constrcuted by pandavas and there is a nice waterfall near to the temple.Temple is very clean and neat and priest is doing pooja and offers the thirta and prasada.Written 29 September 2023
- just away from B.R.P area , this huge dam , with abundant water reservoir. Visitors feel serene and peaceful getaway from daily routineWritten 3 October 2022
- It is within city limits. A half-a-day plan is a good visit. Right now, over half a dozen, tigers and lions are sighted during safari. The safari drive would be about 30 mins. The park has plans to expand.Written 8 May 2022
- Visit this place the waterfall is excellent Just love this place you won't regret it's amazing place climate is awesomeWritten 9 January 2020
- Located 8km from the town of Sagara and 90 minutes drive from Shimoga, Karnataka, this is a lovely 16th century temple built during the reign of Nayaka chieftains of Keladi. While the temple does not boast of architectural grandeur, the stone sculptures are superb.
One can stay at Shimoga and do this as a day trip (along with Aghoreshvara temple at Ikkeri, which is about 15 km from this temple). Or one can choose to stay at one of the several homestay options in the region. We stayed at a real nice homestay called Ajjana mane. And from this homestay, one can access a several sightseeing places - the 16th century Rameshwara temple, Keladi is 30 minutes drive; the 16th century Aghoreshvara temple, Ikkeri is 30 minutes drive; the 11th century Kedareshvara temple, Balligavi is 90 minutes drive; Jog falls is 30 minutes drive.Written 14 November 2019
- Did not hear about this place until I was taken here on a surprise trip on my birthday, and I was super glad. It's about 2 hours hike covering the whole area of the fort which I enjoyed a lot. Suitable for photoshoots as it has beautiful views and sceneries.
Prepare your legs for some uphill trail and slippery steps.Written 29 September 2022
- Trekking , PTU from Bangalore, started at around 9pm from blr, reached Nittur at around 730am, refreshed at a home stay. Started the trek at 9am. It's 14km trek to Kodajadri hills via paddy fields, forest , crossed hidulmane falls, entered the grass lands the uphill climb was a bit hard. Had the packed lunch at a small oasis with a natural spring at around 12:30pm, it's again uphill to the kodajadri hills the view is splendid. You will reach a jeep trail from there another hour to Sarvanjna peeda (adi shankara).Written 6 November 2022
- Had to come here as 1 of my relatives was working here for a long time. This place is truely pristine.Written 3 January 2019
- Looking at the remnants one can come to know that the fort and the history are being neglected by the government.Written 1 April 2018
- It's a beautiful waterfall amidst lush green paddy fields. The entry fee of 100/- is too high and not justified. From the parking it is an easy trek to the first level of the falls.
No place to change, so plan accordingly.Written 3 October 2021
- Good collection of artifacts but nothing great as a palace. It has wooden building surrounded by garden.Written 15 October 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Shimoga
Shimoga Attractions Information
|Monday, 1:57 am|