Recommended by 80% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
Low Price GuaranteeNo Booking Fees
- You'll start atTongariro National ParkSee Important Information for details
- 1Adrift TongariroStop: 2 hoursThis fantastic evening option is ideally suited for tour groups and individuals to maximise a travel day to or from Tongariro National Park. This walk is also great for those who would like to experience the volcanic terrain but have limited time or fitness for the more strenuous full day treks. This is a superb way of experiencing the Tongariro National Park and enjoying this stunning time of day. The sunset tour is an easy 2 hours in amongst the Tongariro Volcanoes. We pick and choose the exact route to suit the level of ability for the group for example, if walking on a pathless track is too difficult, we can change the route to something easier. The route is selected from one of the following: We walk for approximately 60 – 80 minutes before selecting the ideal spot to enjoy a glass of New Zealand bubbles as we watch the sunset. The preferred route is the Taranaki Falls loop track, other route options are a return trip starting on the world famous Tongariro Alpine Crossing track, return route out to sunset ridge or Meads Wall. Your guide will talk about the area with their local knowledge of geology, volcanology and New Zealand cultural history. A memorable way to see the National Park with sunset lighting up a majestic Alpine setting.Read more
- You'll end atTongariro National ParkSee Important Information for details
Tongariro National Park, Tongariro National Park, Manawatu-Wanganui Region, North Island
Returns to original departure point
- Professional and qualified guide/s.
- Equipment, footwear and clothing to supplement up to a NZD40 free allowance.
- A glass of NZ bubbles
- Live tour commentary provided in English.
- Transport between the Adrift Tongariro base and the activity if needed.
- Beverages, bottled water, or snacks
- Transport between accommodation and Adrift Tongariro base
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people is required for this tour to operate.
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Minimum age is 10 years
- It is essential all clients phone the Adrift Tongariro base between 10:00am - 5:00pm the day prior to trip date to confirm tour departure time and discuss exact timings. +64 7892 2751.
- Tour starts and finishes at the Whakapapa Visitor Centre
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Our preferred route is the Taranaki Falls loop track. This starts in the Whakapapa Village and we ask clients to meet us at the Whakapapa Information Center. If you are unable to get to the Whakapapa information center then we can make arrangements to meet at the Adrift Tongariro base
- Most travellers can participate
- Tour start times vary daily and will be advised in accordance with the changing sunset times
- Tour start times are 2 hours 15 mins prior to sunset and vary between 7:00pm Summer (1 October - 30 April) and 3:00pm Winter (1 May - 30 September)
- Gear List: Water, outdoor shoes with grip, long walking pants, 2 x warm tops and a raincoat.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travellers
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
Time of year
Our relatively short 2 and a half hour walk to the Taranaki Falls (aka Lotr, Gollum’s Pool) was comfortable and easy. Guided by Frank we learned about the terrain and many of the native plants lining our route... he was helpful and knowledgeable but didn’t bombard us with…
Date of experience: February 2020
Response from AdriftTongariro1, Front Office Manager at 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk
Responded 3 Mar 2020
Thank you for the 5 star review. We are glad to hear you had a great time and enjoyed the stunning sunset.
Stuart was our guide and led us on the Silica Falls walk. It isn't a loop hike so we positioned his car on one end and ours on the other. We enjoyed the walk and all the information about area, plants, and history. We then drove to a different location to watch the sun set…
Date of experience: April 2019
Away from the maddening crowds, amazing 2 hour walk through the Tongariro National park. Knowledgeable guide, very good with kids - kept my 10 yr old engaged and interested. Flexible with timings up to a point and with good reason - we needed to be above the waterfall and with…
1 Helpful vote
We cannot recommend this walk highly enough. This was a sunset walk to Tongariro Falls. Only a small group and the weather was lovely and clear. Walk was not overly taxing and the falls, along with a glass of bubbly watching the sunset were both great. Highlight for me was our…
Date of experience: October 2018
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Adrift Tongariro
Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided Hike
Adrift guiding us was a no brainer. Excellent knowledge of weather conditions and checking on our well being as we…
Whanganui river canoe trip
My 2 teenage sons and I had an amazing 3 day canoe safari down the Whanganui river with Adrift. It’s something I’ve…
Wanganui River experience - a truely awesome experience
Fabulous guiding, lots of laughs and extremely competent. One of the best things we’ve done. Couldn’t fault the exp…
A great walk
Two of us had a lovely walk over the Tongariro Crossing, guided by Hiro. He knew lots about the area and shared his…
Full day tongariro hike
We had a wonderful trip with Hiro of Adrift. He was polite, obliging, super caring and so professional. Hiro went a…
Best guides ever
Stu took such good care of my parents who were in their late 70s. They had a wonderful time and were in safe hands.…
A fantastic Tongariro Crossing experience
Fantastic Tongariro Crossing experience with Hiro from Adrift. Lunch provided with knowledgeable commentary along t…
Thanks Adrift Tongariro for an excellent day on the mountain. Great to be able to tick this fabulous walk off the l…
Interactions with customers need to improve
I booked one space for the Tongariro Crossing WINTER SPECIAL about three days before the walk. The walk went smooth…
A cracker of a day
Finally managed to get the crossing done and dusted. Really glad we chose to have a guide to make the most of the e…
This walk exceeded my expectations. I hadn't expected it to be so good. There was still plenty of snow up high on 2…
Awesome Adrift Crossing
September 20th I did the Tongariro Winter Crossing with Adrift. They were EPIC. All email and phone communication w…
W O W
Very very recommend! Great people that make this day so good ! The feeling and the atmosphere is one of the greate…
Great trip over the tongariro crossing
Just finished this crossing and I highly recommend adrift. Our guide Hiro was great, he kept the pace going but nev…
Not the bike ride we booked
Adrift Tongariro We booked a half day guided private ride on the Okahune old coach road months ahead of our trip.…
- Duration: 2h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:000-0800-100-6999
Frequently Asked Questions about 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk
How much is 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk?
2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk price starts from ₹ 7,198.08. Discover and book 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
What is the 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk cancellation policy?
2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk cancellation policy: All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties. Discover and book 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
Which company provides 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk?
2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk is hosted by Adrift Tongariro. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Adrift Tongariro on Tripadvisor. Discover and book 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk on Tripadvisor
How much time do I need for 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk?
On average, this experience will take approximately 2h. Discover and book 2 Hour Sunset Guided Walk on Tripadvisor