Select Date and Travellers
(Price varies by group size)
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Enjoy a day trip to Yungang grottoes, a treasure house of rare and splendid Chinese sculptures with worldwide fame. These grottoes are the main reason most people make it to Datong. The grottoes contain over 50,000 Buddhist statues and stretch for about 1 km east to west. Local hand slice noodle lunch is included in this tour.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Yungang GrottoesStop: 3 hours - Admission excludedAfter early pickup from your central Beijing hotel, settle inside your private vehicle. Then, gaze out at the city’s bustling streets as you set off on your journey to the Yungang Grottoes near Datong. Travel west into northern China’s countryside, and during the roughly 4.5-hour journey, relax in the air-conditioned comfort of your car or minivan, and absorb the interesting views of the towns, villages, farms and fields. On arrival in Datong, stop for an early lunch of local specialities such as sliced noodles — bowls of savory, flattened noodles sliced with a knife and mixed with other ingredients. Duly refreshed, travel to your main destination for the day: the Yungang Grottoes. One of China’s three best-known historical Buddhist sculptural sites, this UNESCO-listed treasure dates from the 5th and 6th centuries, and consists of 252 cliffside grottoes and niches, all filled with more than 51,000 statues and depictions of Buddha. Head inside the complex (own expense), and enjoy about four hours to look around the grottoes that stretch along a 0.6-mile (1-kilometre) section of cliffs, seeing everything from miniature statuettes to rock-face sculptures. Stop to marvel at the largest, 55-foot (7-meter) Buddha in the fifth cave, and view some of the smaller caverns and niches to admire everything from colorful wall murals to figurines and other ornamental depictions of Buddha. Having explored this incredible site, hop back into your vehicle and relax on your ride back to Beijing, where an early-evening drop-off at your central hotel brings your tour to a close.Read more
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Licensed English Speaking Tour Guide
- Authentic Chinese Local Lunch
- Bottled Drinking Water
- Private transportation
- Entrance tickets 150 RMB per person
- Entry/Admission - Yungang Grottoes
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travellers have to say about this operator.
By: Beijing ABC-Tours
Nice morning tour
We did this tour because we only had a short time in Beijing and wanted someone to show us around the busy attracti…
Summer Palace and Jingshan Hill Visit
I booked Martin as a driver to the above 2 places and he was really informative and helpful along the way. Also rec…
24 hour layover in Beijing - Great Wall Visit
We booked Martin, who picked us up at the airport, brought us to the Wall, helped buy tickets and brought us throug…
Great experience with Martin
I highly recommend this tour. Martin was our driver. He greeted us warmly at our hotel lobby and drove safely to th…
Excellent service to visit the Great wall by Martin
We would highly recommend using this service for your trip to visit the Great Wall. Martin picked us up at our hote…
Unforgetable and safe
In transit in Beijing for 24 hours, this activity was tailored to allow me to see the Great Wall of China, have a d…
Easy and professional Great Wall trip
We would highly recommend mr wu if you’re looking for a day trip to the wall. Everything was smooth and easy - we d…
Excellent day trip with Nancy and Mr. Su
Had a very wonderful experience with my family seeing The Great Wall and Summer Palace. Our tour guide Nancy was in…
Mutianyu Great Wall & Summer Palace
We had an amazing private tour experience on our first family trip to Beijing. Nancy our tour guide was excellent.…
Excellent service by Ma
Ma came early to our hotel to pick us up for this trip. He was very good at responding to us on WeChat. The trip to…
Our driver Martin made us have the best trip to the Great Wall at Mutianyu! He picked us up at our hotel, drive us …
James provided a great service.
I and my friend came to Beijing for a business trip. We got a day to spare. James’ service was recommended by my lo…
3rd time a charm
Marvin from Mark's group "Your Guide and Travel Consultant in Beijing" toured us. It was 3rd time to this section o…
Day Trip to Mutianyu
I had a fantastic trip out to Mutianyu Great Wall with Martin. Safe driver and nice service. Good tips on tickets a…
I enjoyed the tour. Wu did great as driver and friendly guider. I would recommend this trip very confortable and s…
- Duration: 10–12 hours
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:000-0800-100-6999
Frequently bought together
from ₹11,302.76* ₹14,128.45
Popular: Booked by 1,362 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 1,957 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing
What time does Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing start?
Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing will start at 6:00 AM. Discover and book Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing on Tripadvisor
How much is Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing?
Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing price starts from ₹ 26,757.23. Discover and book Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing on Tripadvisor
What is the Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing cancellation policy?
Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Datong Yungang Grottoes Private Day Tour from Beijing on Tripadvisor