View all photos (26)
Select Date and Travellers
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
StartSee Important Information for details
- 1Doge's PalaceStop: 90 minutes - Admission includedJoin the guided group tour which starts at winged lion column at the Saint Mark's Square and enters from the large and bright courtyard of Palazzo Ducale, rich in precious marble decorations, going through a narrow door on the ground floor, you’ll find yourself in the Pozzi (wells). The guide will explain you the places of detention, consisting of small wet cells, barely lit by oil lamps, ventilated only through round holes in thick stone walls and closed in by locked doors with solid bolts. You’ll see the cells and some writings and some drawings on the walls as you can almost imagine and feel despair and the desire for freedom of the prisoners. Next, through a narrow staircase, you’ll visit the two small rooms of the Ducal Notary and the Deputato alla Segreta, important officers of the institutional machinery. These interconnected rooms lead to a Square Atrium. The guide will then lead you to a large and beautiful Chamber of the Secret Chancellery, whose walls are lined with cabinets containing public and secret documents relating to the work of most of the Venetian magistrate. Passing through the small room of the Deputy to the Chancellery one comes to the Torture Chamber, also known as the Chamber of Torment; this disturbing place is linked directly with the Prisons. The guide will explain how torture was practiced in Venice and in which century it was abolished. You’ll continue to the Piombi From the Torture Chamber. These cells were used exclusively for the prisoners of the Council of Ten, either those accused of political crimes, those awaiting sentence or those serving short prison terms. You’ll understand why Piombi is in much better conditions than those in the Pozzi, the terrible cells on the ground floor of the Doge’s Palace. From the Piombi you pass directly under the roof to the attic located at the corner of the building between the waterfront and canal–side facades. Inside it has cabinets that contain a number of weapons, most of the 16th century. From this attic, two long flights of stairs bring one to the Chamber of the Inquisitors, a much-feared magistrate that was set up in 1539 to protect state secrets. Before the tour ends, the guide will reveal stories of the council, political history, institutional bodies deputed to government and justice of the Venice Republic.Read more
- Official certified guide
- Radio system to hear the guide
- Skip the Line access to the Doge's Palace
- We guarantee "Skip the Line" even during peak season
- Entry/Admission - Doge's Palace
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour. All customers must be able to autonomously walk, climb and get off the steps.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes as there is a moderate amount of walking involved
- Due to recent safety concerns, some lines to enter the Doge's Palace may occur even for skip-the-line ticket holders
- The tour does not operate in case of exceptional high tide or in case of religious functions (in these cases it can be rearranged or refunded)
- For security reasons sacks, bags or knapsacks are not allowed inside the Palace
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements, in the event of this occurring you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- • Please note that customers suffering from claustrophobia, vertigo of cardio-respiratory disorders, pregnant women and Children under 6 are not allowed on this tour.
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
This tour was both fascinating and educational - we had no idea about the history of Venice and the Doge. Seeing the prison cells, secret passage, interrogation room, torture chamber, government offices, secret meeting rooms and hearing about the conspiracies, spies,…
Date of experience: June 2019
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Star Florence
Santa Croce tour
Our tour guide Martina was wonderful, her passion for the history really showed and we really enjoyed this tour
Best, most efficient and enjoyable way to meet Florence
Francesca was awesome!! She was so knowledgeable about everything!! From the architecture to floods, from the ch…
The Palace of Versailles
Amazing! The Palace, the Gardens the architecture and history of this place is Amazing! We did a tour with Zach and…
There was no guide!!
We could not find our guide anywhere! So much for “skip the ques” we were told to go through initial security and t…
Florence be Vespa!
This tour was THE highlight of our visit. Francesco was funny, charming and an overall great teacher. I suggest d…
Awesome Tour of Accademia Gallery
We had an awesome and enlightening tour of this wonderful art gallery that holds one of the World's most renown pie…
Beautiful museum with amazing , famous art . My guide was Martina of Star Florence. She was excellent. She had gre…
Florence walking tour
Rossella was our guide for the 2 hour Florence walking tour. She was great! So knowledgeable about the buildings an…
Dome Tour by Martina
Martina was a great guide — very knowledgable, friendly and full of fun antidotes about the Dome’s history within t…
Accademia tour with Marco
Excellent attentive guide, Marco, who understood our needs. He was very insightful yet did not ramble on. When you …
Marco, our guide was very knowledgeable about the Galleria and we both learned a lot about Michelangelo. We were a …
Excellent Climb The Cupola (Dome) Guided Tour Experience!
We had an excellent experience with Giacomo during our Climb The Cupola (Dome) Guided Tour! Giacomo was very knowle…
Star Florence Cancelled our Uffizi tour
My husband and I were very disappointed in this tour company. We booked this tour in Early August for an October to…
Steep climb, but the views are WORTH IT!
This tour was really great! Our guide, Leonardo, was charismatic and knowledgeable. The steps to climb to the top o…
Walking tour of Florence
Martina was very good as our tour guide. Very knowledgeable plus I learned the difference between real gelato and f…
- Duration: 1h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:000-0800-100-6999
Travellers also viewed
Frequently bought together
from $16.63* $22.17