Visit: Rocchetta Mattei, SP62 Riola _ Savignano, 40030 Grizzana Morandi Italy
• Discover a hidden jewel of the Appenines sitting on a scenic hilltop between Bologna and Florence.
• Learn the castle’s origin story and how it evolved into a piece of architecture like no other.
• Admire the labyrinth of interconnected rooms, courtyards, passages, stairways, arches, painted vaults and towers.
• Listen to Count Mattei’s amazing story and learn why he’s still considered a guru in many corners of the world
• Be prepared to be surprised as in this castle nothing is what you think!
Rocchetta Mattei (Rocchetta means “small fortress” in Italian) has been the cradle for electrohomeopathy, a system of healing that made Count Cesare Mattei known all over the world and is still practiced in some countries such as India and Pakistan.
Lose yourself in myth and history as you walk the same path as his patients: among them some eminent people like the Czar Alexander II, King Ludwig III of Bavaria and Empress Elizabeth of Austria (Princess Sissi).
Mattei had become so famous that he was even mentioned by Dostoeveskji in his novel The Brothers Karamazov.
Rocchetta Mattei is full of symbols, beginning with the entrance, which symbolizes light and recovery as an ill person entering the Rocchetta would later re-emerge healed.
Visit the spectacular Sala dei Novanta (Hall of Nineties), where Count Mattei probably meant to celebrate his ninetieth birthday hosting a banquet in the company of 90 people his same age.
Admire the Chapel, a breathtaking reproduction of the interior of Cordoba’s Mezquita and the Lions’ Courtyard, inspired by the courtyard of the Alhambra in Granada.
A guided tour of the 19th-century castle Rocchetta Mattei is a journey through different architectonic styles and symbols that will please the most curious minds.