Not only is La Défense the most important business district in Europe, it is also an open-air museum with more than 60 modern artworks created by artists of 14 different nationalities, including some of the most famous names in contemporary art.The artists worked closely with the sites's architects and urban planners, creating pieces that are in perfect harmony with their environment, beautifying the hardscape, filling the spaces between the skyscrappers, enlivening the fountains and decorating the walls. They give poetry and meaning to the public areas and an inspired human dimension to the avant-garde architecture. La Défense is an area loaded with History and constantly reshaped and redesigned.
What you'll see during the walking tour :
• Several works of contemporary art such as the gigantic Thumb by Cesar, the Red Spider by Alexander Calder, the Figures by Joan Miro, and many others
• Different generations of skyscrappers, reflecting 6 decades of technological, economic and social progress, thus providing view of changes in contemporary architecture
• The CNIT, ''cathedral of the modern era'' with the world's largest self-supporting vaulted ceiling built in 1958
• The charming and modern Notre-Dame-de-Pentecôte church
• The biggest business center in Europe (Cœur Défense)
• A great view on Paris from the Grande Arche's roof at 110 meters high (360 feet high), using the unique and spectacular glass elevators