Sorry for the late review - I thought I'd already submitted a review. Based on current reviews, not much has changed since we were there in 2008.
My husband and I took our then 7-year old daughter to the Playa Costa Verde for a week's vacation, and found this property to be good value for money.
The check-in and check-out process were fairly quick. We were gievn our room as soon as we checked in. The room was spacious and sufficient for our needs. I loved that the property was made up of low-rise villas - gave a community feel to the grounds.
This is a nice-sized property with easy access to everything. My daughter loved crossing the mangrove boardwalk over to the beach...we saw lots of nature and waterfowl everyday. The beach was fairly nice, but not miles and miles of soft, unspoiled sand; it was rocky in the shallow area. But once you got passed that, it was lovely. And the peddle boats were lots of fun - we snorkeled off one and saw some beautiful fish!
The buffet was average with lots of choices - we're not picky and found lots to choose from.
Tip: although they make pancakes and waffles, they don't have maple syrup so bring your own and leave it there when you leave. The food by our standards was fairly bland, so we brought some HP Sauce, hot sauce and Mrs. Dash spices to "spice things up" - worked like a charm! My daughter enjoyed watching them cook food in front of us at the Japanese restaurant. We also enjoyed the Cuban restaurant.
The entertainment left much to be desired, so we usually had a later dinner, went for a walk and then turned in early...it's amazing how tiring a day at the beach can be!
Our villa was right beside the pool-side grill. We really enjoyed that food! And it was nice and handy of we needed a late-night snack when returning to our room.
We did the Dolphin Swim experience, which we really enjoyed (even though my daughter was slightly terrified). My parents have visited Cuba 20 times and a friend of theirs who is a carriage driver picked us up one day and took us to his home: a brick structure he made with his own hands with a dirt floor, and chickens running in and out. He made us some food of cooked fish and coffee - AMAZING! And we took a little walk around his property. My daughter thought it was so funny to see someone walking their pig!
All-in-all, this was a great family vacation and very good value for money. I would definately recommend this hotel for anyone looking for that combination.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Costa Verde Cuba
- Playa Costa Verde Rafael Freyre
- Playa Costa Verde Holguin
- Costa Playa Verde
- Playa Costa Verde
- Playa Costa Verde Hotel
- Hotel Playa Costa Verde Cuba/Rafael Freyre, Holguin Province
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation, buffet meals, 4 a la carte restaurants, 6 bars, 24-hour snacks and Lobby, unlimited drinks, Mini Club, pools, Jacuzzis, day/night entertainment, water/land sports with equipment and instruction, gym, meeting facilities, air-conditioned rooms with bathroom, hair drier, telephone, safe, satellite TV, CD player, iron and ironing board, tea/coffee maker, mini fridge with welcome drinks, terrace or balcony. All Inclusive! Plus ($): Internet, tours, hairdresser, and shop. ... more less