Traveled to Buffalo to catch a Sabres hockey game with my son and surprisingly "won" this property via Priceline – 3 block walk to the subway station to get to First Niagara Arena. The property is rated a 3 star - no way - 2 star is closer to reality. I'll discuss that in greater detail at the bottom,
Outside appearances are good. The property is on a fairly busy street, but there are some older homes across the street that gives the location a comfortable urban feel.
Check-in was efficient. The staff is pleasant. The lobby area is small and the 1st level contains the restaurant and lounge area. The elevators are extremely slow and we ended up taking the stairs as they were quicker than waiting for an elevator.
The room was in need of a redo. The most positive point of the room was the beds, which are comfortable. Otherwise, the room was tired and dated. The furniture was in need of update. The bathroom door would not close; you could clearly hear conversations while in the bathroom. The walls were thin as you could hear the television and talking from the adjacent room as well as you could hear road noise. Simply, the room was not inviting and the property needs to be renovated. You can not keep on painting and recarpeting - the building is worn. I have stayed in several Holiday Inns over the past year and as a whole, I have been pleased with what I have seen. The HI overall image and accommodations are fresh and upbeat. This property is not on board. If I was traveling with my family, I would have checked out after viewing the room. Since it was my son and I, our tolerance was greater.
While we where there, the hotel was housing several traveling athletic teams and a bus tour. There was hall noise and I felt I was back in a college dorm. Not what I wanted at 11 o'clock in the evening.
We ate breakfast at the hotel's restaurant - good value and filling. We also utilized the complimentary shuttle to and from the airport - quick and efficient as well.
As noted, I "won" the property via a Priceline bid. If I paid more, I would be more concerned with the value for my money (I still am, but since I paid much less than half the posted daily rate, my expectations were perhaps not as high). The focus of my trip was a sporting event and all I wanted was a place to sleep. This property is supposively in the same class as the "H" hotel which is a few blocks down the street and well as the "AM" hotel downtown. This property is in dire need of a redo. Winning this property has convinced me to not use Priceline too.
Spend the extra $$$ and stay at a hotel that is newer.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown Hotel Buffalo
- Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown Hotel
- Holiday Inn Buffalo
- Buffalo Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown. We are located in the historic Allentown district of Buffalo and near quaint shops, restaurants and attractions. The hotel is a city high-rise with 167 rooms, and renovated meeting and banquet facilities. We offer a seasonal outdoor heated pool and a fitness center. Be sure to stop by our award winning restaurant, Grille 620.Take in the many historical sights of Buffalo while staying at the Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown. Located adjacent to the Wilcox Mansion, site of the Teddy Roosevelt inauguration and just a few minutes from Frank Lloyd Wrights Darwin Martin House. While staying with us, take in a show at Sheas Performing Arts Center, the Irish Classical Theatre or enjoy a little Shakespeare in Delaware Park. Art lovers will be thrilled to visit the Albright Knox Art Gallery and the Burchfield Penny Art Center located minutes away at Buffalo State College.Come and stay with us for the annual Allentown Arts Festival; the event is held right outside our doors! State and federal office building are less than 4 miles away, and we are approximately 5 minutes to the New York/Canadian border. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Otel, Travelocity, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Buffalo Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.