I am a visitor from Europe who stayed here for seven nights during a conference based at the hotel. The positives : great, central location; Tick Tock Diner very convenient and good food; upgraded room had wonderful view of the Empire State Building and the NYC skyline; bed was very comfortable and the room well soundproofed, giving a comfortable night's sleep; cleaning staff were polite and kept the room spotlessly clean; conference room was large and had good facilities.
Negatives : we were lucky to be upgraded but other colleagues' rooms were very small - one couldn't open her case without putting it on the bed; free Internet connection is incredibly slow - if you want fast you have to pay; several times we couldn't log on as "there are too many people already connected" - ridiculous for a conference hotel; one printer in the 'Business Centre' didn't work; alcohol in the diner was ridiculously expensive, even for New York; our waiter in the diner on three separate occasions was inattentive and more interested in chatting to his friends or on his mobile phone than getting our food; the shower was impossible to control - ran either very hot or very cold.
But the biggest disappointment was the attitude of staff on reception. With only one exception (Mohammed) they were completely lacking in courtesy and very, very unhelpful. There was no offering of information about the surrounding area, no map offered, no information about the hotel - not even the time of breakfast - and the person on checkout was just plain rude. I was both surprised and disappointed - my experience of other hotels in the US is exactly the opposite and this is supposedly one of New York's best hotels.
Management ought seriously to consider sending reception staff on a course in customer service, or even common courtesy - and on supervising them properly. The pluses of the hotel do not make up for their appalling attitude. I would not choose to stay here in the future for that reason.
- Also Known As:
- New Yorker Hotel
- New Yorker Ramada Plaza
- Ramada New Yorker
- Ramada New York City
- Ramada Plaza New York
- Ramada Plaza New Yorker Hotel
- New York City Ramada
- New Yorker Ramada
- New Yorker Hotel New York
- Ramada Hotel New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Yorker Hotel is one of the most popular hotels in New York City. Come revel in the newly re-imagined grandeur of our historic hotel. Our newly renovated and upgraded guest rooms and suites deliver contemporary comforts that leave nothing to be desired for today’s business travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Wyndham, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, getaroom.com, Amex, Travelocity, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel, Venere and Tingo so you can book your The New Yorker Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.