I do not know why it has taken me so long to write this review. We went to South Africa in September of 2011. We stayed in Cape Town the first four days and the last four were spent at Savanna.
To say that the experience exceed any and all expectations is an understatement.
The site was intimate and the staff were amazing from the moment we stepped foot on the the reserve. First and foremost, my fiance has a diatery constraints that they easily met which took a huge worry off of our shoulders and we were able to relax and enjoy meals that were incredible. The fact that each meal was spent at a family setting allowed us to engage with all the guest and make incredible friends.
The actual excursions out into the reserve were incredible. Our first night out, the alpha male lion walked not more than five feet from me! We saw the lions even roar, in the middle of a several animal migrations, spotted rare wild dogs travelling in packs, saw another cat taking its kill away, and on and on and on. I could continue for hours.
I had a chance to run a five k with an ultra-marathon runner. How often can does one have a chance to run in the wilds of Africa unprotected and free!
Oh and did I mention the leopard hunting right outside of our lodge (which was incredible with the drawn hot water bath after each evening safari) our second night there! The actual rooms were also beyond belief. Clean, secure, and taking a shower outside was just plain fun.
Our guides were awesome and even had an iPad with some crazy app that had instant information for all of our questions.
I just cannot say enough about this place and how we are already planning our return trip. I only wish more Americans would take the time to experience this.
Simply and truly amazing.
- Also Known As:
- Savanna Private Game Reserve Hotel
- Savanna Private Game Reserve Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Savanna Private Game Reserve Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Savanna Private Game Reserve is a luxury five star Game Reserve in the Sabi Sands South Africa. The Sabi Sands is acknowledged as the best area in the world for leopard viewing. Our object at Savanna is to give our guests the best wildlife experience possible. See guest comments on Trip Advisor to see just how our guests are blown away by the Savanna Experience. ... more less