This is the worst place you could stay. In August of 2007 myself, fiancée and her son stayed here at the Castaways. Before we made the reservations we came across some reviews on trip advisor (and they are still there). None of them were really positive. But, my fiancée called the Castaways and spoke with Jim (the Manager). He reassured her that the place had been redone and he doesn’t know why and can not believe the comments that were on Trip Advisor. So needless to say we made the reservations. When we arrived we were a little early and we could not check in. Finally we checked in and once we got to our room (3rd floor) we were pretty shocked. There were holes in the walls that were the size of softballs, there was parts to the window air conditioner in the corner of the bedroom on the floor, the one bed was right up against the A/C unit, (don’t know how it was working) really no room to move around in the bedroom, there was a gap at the bottom of the front door to the motel room that probably would allow a small kitten or even rats in to the room, the security lock to the door was broken, there was no smoke detector, there was a small fire extinguisher on the floor and the hook hanger off the wall (to where if you were not looking you could lose an eye), the exhaust fan over the shove was missing parts, looked really dirty and rusty, there were 3 burnt light bulbs in the motel room AND most of all here is where it gets bad. The bathroom was a total SHOCK. There was black mold all over the shower and the shower curtain was torn.
So at this point we went down to talk to Jim about this. He said that it wasn’t that bad and if it was he would move us to another room. We went down to the 2nd floor and looked at another room. It was in the same shape, plus the bathroom smelled really bad. I looked in the toilet and someone had gone to the bathroom and no had flushed it. (so what do the cleaning people do?) So, we went back and said no on the other room. Jim said that he would come up and try to clean the mold for us if we wanted. So, he did and really didn’t look that much better, still was black. So, the next morning the 3 of us took turns taking our shower. The last person in was an 11 yr old boy. As he stepped into the shower he put his hand on the wall to brace him and his hand and arm went right thru the wall. I went straight down to speak to Jim and he sent up a maintain man. Their idea of fixing it was putting up a piece of wood over the damaged area with duct tape. Also, Jim told us he couldn’t believe this incident because he said ALL the showers have been redone! YEAH RIGHT! So, the next day I was taking a shower and the piece of wood fell off the wall and fell on my foot. At this point we wanted a refund. Of course I went to go see Jim and he said he had to contact the owners which are never around. Oh, by the way the towel bar in the bathroom was missing. I mentioned this to Jim and he went and had the maintenance man give me the bar to put up myself. So, I went to put the bar up and as I was doing so the towel bar brackets (which were on the wall) decided to fall off. Several days later we were told NO REFUNDS! We complained more and finally the owners who we never saw or spoke to told Jim to give us a credit on our next visit. What makes them think we would come back? It was clear that Jim really knew how to [--] people.
So, now we are planning our August 2008 trip up to Wildwood for 10 days and we decided to call Jim and use our credit just for only 2 days out of the 10. Well, at first he couldn’t remember me, then I started to explain what we went thru there and he stated that he doesn’t remember anything like that. Finally he recalled the situation. So, I told him the days we wanted to stay there and he told me that I COULD NOT use the credit during the busy season or on weekend. I stated that it does not state that on the credit voucher. Again, he needed to contact the owners. He called me back 2 days later stating that he spoke with the owners and they will make a special decision to let us stay when we wanted. BUT, we had to stay for 3 days not 2 and that the room was $249, not the $149 that was listed on their web site. I questioned that price and Jim got very rude stating that he could give this price at this time and this and this and so on. Needless to say, we aren’t going and the credit voucher is already in the trash!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC