We were driving through to Maine and had to stop for the night because we were tired. We got there at around 1am. There was another guest who also just arrived. We rang the bell and the innkeeper looked irritated that we had woken him up. We asked for 2 rooms. After seeing a sign posted near the front desk saying "All rooms are non-smoking as of June 15th", I proceeded to tell the innkeeper that we needed a room that has been non-smoking all along, as my 9 year old son is very asthmatic and on numerous medications daily. The innkeeper pointed to one of the buildings and said that none of the rooms in that building had ever been smoked in. I took the keys to both rooms and went to settle my 5 kids in for the night. My 2 older girls were staying in one room together and as soon as we walked into the first room (room 115), the stale smell of cigarettes was very heavy in the air. There were cigarette burns on the carpet. Then I opened up our second room (room 118) and it, too, had obviously been smoked in at some time but was quite a bit better than room 115. We decided to go back and let the innkeeper know that room 115 was not acceptable as far as being "non-smoking". I told him that room 115 smelled heavily of smoke so we needed to get another room. He acted very surprised and like he didn't know that room 115 had been smoked in, but very quickly offered us another room (this time room 121 upstairs). He said that he had cleaned this room himself and that it was definately never smoked in. We found it very interesting that the carpet in room 121 also had cigarette burns and there was a faint odor of stale cigarette smoke. We decided that this was probably about as good as it was gonna get, especially at 1am, so we went to our rooms and went to sleep. The beds were not comfortable at all and I woke up with a neck and back ache. After seeing other people's hair all over the bathroom floor the next morning, we decided to just get out of there instead of showering. Upon check out, this girl who looked not a minute older than 18 and who spoke with a thick accent asked me for my keys to the 2 rooms. I told her that my kids had left the key cards in the rooms by accident. I figured it was not a big deal since they were just key cards, but she rudely insisted that she could not let me check out until I returned the keys. I explained again that we accidentally left them in the room and she said "Then go get them". I told her I could not get them because I could not get back into the room because I did not have a key. She acted like she wouldn't take no for an answer and said I could not check out until I gave her the keys. Luckily the innkeeper from the night before came in and I told him of the problem and he just waved me off and said, no problem, you can check out. We then left and continued on our drive to Maine. The only other thing that I have to say is that as an innkeeper you cannot just say rooms are "non-smoking" as of a certain date and completely ignore the fact that those same rooms have been smoked in for years and have cigarette burns everywhere on the carpet, bed sheets, blankets, etc. Obviously he didn't care at all that my son had severe medical problems that could have been made horribly worse by the cigarette smoke. He obviously lied to us and didn't care. I would NEVER stay here again. It was just gross.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC