This will be as unbiased and balanced review of Wyndham Royal Vista that I can write based on my experience here in Dec 2011, considering what we had to go through. We stayed in room 6611, then were moved to room 4411 for reasons to be explained under the ugly section below
1. Very nicely located just off the beach. The beach is 15 steps from the pool with lounge chairs, umbrellas, cabanas, motorized and non-motorized equipment rental. There are also some snorkeling areas off the beach.
2. two pools (3-6 feet) heated with a warm water outlets and one unheated kidde pool (1 foot)
3. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. Very spacious with a king bed in one room, two queen (maybe double) beds in the other, each with their own spacious bathroom, and a large pull out couch in the living room. Granite counter kitchen with full set of appliances, dishes, cutlery, and cookware. In-room laundry with detergent packs. Overall very clean.
4. nice and free garage parking with direct access to elevators to room,
5. friendly staff
1. The weather was unexpectedly windy, which limited our outdoor activities (nothing resort could do about that of course)
2. The sun disappears pretty quickly from the pool area since it is located east of the hotel, though the beach in not affected.
3. One or two service agents at front desk where everything is run though, including the towel exchange, makes for a little wait each time need towels even in low season
4. Bedroom drawers are old and are problematic to open. We ended up living out of suitcases
5. Concierge didn`t seem to know much about the area. Asked for directions to a non-touristy restaurant 10 minutes from the resort and even gave her the address and she couldn`t event point me in the right direction (we had a finicky GPS). Asked about recommendation for what to do on a Saturday that couldn`t do on other days and she just kept directing us to a guide book. Incidentally Lauderdale by the sea was having their annual Christmas by the Beach and there was a Christmas light event happening at Tradewinds during our stay that we stumbled upon on our own. she was great at getting us to attend a timeshare presentation though.
6. Air conditioner in room is really loud
7. Under the surface, the room needs to be maintained better (cracks in tile and corners, missing soap dishes that was in one room but not other)
8. Loud construction in nearby buildings
1. Ants! Upon checking in, we noticed little ants crawling around our master bedroom. We reported it and they sent somebody up to spray the corner and edges of the room with a non-toxic and odorless bug spray. Given that we had an infant with us and we could clearly smell the odorless spray, we were skeptical about its effect on bugs and the baby, so we minimized our exposure to the room for the next day. Next day the ants were back and we`re even on the master bathroom counter. So we reported it again and they got ordered a `proffessional` to spray with non-toxic chemicals to get ride of the ants. Again given we have an infant, we didn`t trust them so we left the room for the whole day. Next day, there were the ants again. At this point we just emptied out the master bathroom, stuffed towels under the door to the master bedroom and the entrance way (cheater bathroom), and never went back in except for laundry. Given that we had an infant and my wife it Type A, she was soooooo stress about the ants and the chemical sprays used.
Over my many discussion regarding the ants, I was informed that they are sugar ants that come out looking for sugar and water. They are not uncommon in South Florida and come out in different rooms at different times. (Note that we didn`t have this problem at our other resort we stayed at in Palm Beach just 50 minutes north)
After complaining to the the front desk about the ants and the wifi (below), we finally were granted another room, but were warned that it could have ants as well. It ended up being the same room just two floor below our current one. I was told that it was the only room available. I kind of doubt it given that the parking lot was barely half full even when we got back at 11:30 at night.
After we packed up all our stuff (2 kids) and moved it, the high chair, and pack n`play on our own, we discovered 3 ants in the new room, but this time in the kitchen. We gave the resort the benefit of the doubt and gave our new room a day. We even asked somebody to spray the new room in the kitchen area since we were gonna be out the entire day. We came back and found that the room was not sprayed as requested and had to wait for the next morning. While on the phone with the front desk trying to determine if our room was sprayed, my wife found like 10 ants on the floor and counter of the kitchen. One was even found on a plate in the cupboard. Basically we moved into a worse ant situation. You would think that the resort would track the ant complaints and move us to a room that hadn`t ever had an ant complaint. Given that we cook a little on vacation, this increased my wife`s stress level even more. The maintenance manager basically said there was nothing more he could do with the unit. Comforting.
2. Wifi is horrendous! My blackberry phone, tablet and my wife's android phone did not work well anywhere in the resort. It was sporadic at best and was confirmed a couple of other guests in the resort who just use their data plan on their phone instead of resort wifi. This resort uses AT&T hotspot for their wifi. My tablet worked ok for the first couple nights at this resort and the entire week at another resort which also used AT&T hotspot. Fortunately, my laptop worked well, but a bit on the slow side but at least able to watch you tube videos in low resolution. Was told to call AT&T for help, who said there was a glitch in the router that serviced the area around my room and my laptop was strong enough to access a router from another part of the resort. Ultimately there was nothing they could do since AT&T had to send out somebody to service the router at it probably wouldn`t during the rest of my stay.
Much like the ant issue, the wifi got worse in the new room. I guess it uses the same router, but may labtop was being intermittently kicked off the router. The best time to use it was after 11 pm and even then it was slow as molasses. I couldn`t even watch low resolution you tube videos without lagging every 10 seconds and the laptop could not log in from the master bed room, but got slow access in the dining room and guest bedroom. Very frustrating. During the day it was arduous to even check the weather in the morning.
After 3 calls to AT&T between the two rooms, there was no way I was gonna get good internet access in my room for the rest of my stay. Much like the ants, you would think the resort would move us to a room with better internet access given our complaints.
3. Poor communication and tracking of complaints. The complaints seem to be logged somehow, but if there were issues with specific rooms, you would think that they wouldn`t move us into a worse situation than before. We ended up getting compensated $50 for our trouble, but only after we refused to go to the Interval International update (ended up being a Wyndham timeshare presentation) and said it was primarily due to all the time wasted with the room and getting stuff done. The funny thing is that our issues were not passed on to the timeshare sales office and we complain a fair bit to them as well. Even funnier was that the desktop and the touchscreen presentation TV didn`t work during our tour. With all our troubles and complaints, we never contacted by management.
I can understand why some people would rate this resort high, but the wifi deficiency is a major issue for those who don't have a data plan and the ants in the kitchen is a major issue for those with young children and cook a bit at the resort. It appears decent initially, but is a dated in many respects under the surface.
make sure you do not get 6611 or 4411, and probably 5511
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC