I just returned from a Thursday-Sunday stay (August 6-9) at White Cap Suites, Fort Myers Beach, Florida. I was on another Chik-Trip; this time I was with my childhood friend. I am single, African-American and 50+. This was a 'last-minute, before I have to go back to the classroom trip" as both of us our educators. I can't find anything negative to say about this place. So here are the pluses in my opinion.
1. The property is family-owned and operated. This resulted in the son-in-law picking us up and returning us to the airport for a nominal fee. Service was great; we had 24-hour access via telephone, if there was anything we needed.
2. The property is in walking distance from a grocery store, a four-star restaurant and the beach. The beach is across the street from the property; about a five-minute walk tops!
3. The property is on the quiet-side of the island, which appears to be inhabited by retirees. No loud music, teenagers, college students, or twenty-somethings were anywhere to be found. If you like it loud this family manages another beachside property on the noisy-side of the island.
4. This part of the beach is not crowded at all. When we went out around 10am each day there were less than 10 people on the beach. By the time we left there was still 20 ft between us and the nearest person in any direction.
5. There are plasma tvs with remotes in every bedroom and in the living room. The tv has 300-plus channels. It was great ,as I use vacation time to watch tv since I don't do it at home.
6. There is an enclosed porch off the master bedroom. The master bedroom faces east toward the rising sun. There are blinds in the room, but if you like it pitch black try the other bedroom. Also the master bedroom is a little cooler than the rest of the house. We kept the AC on 75. The bed in the master bedroom is slightly elevated which I loved; I didn't need a step stool but if you're short or mobility-challenged you may need a boost.
7. August is a great month to visit; very few tourists. We literally had the place to ourselves for half of our stay.
8. This property is a cross between a hotel and a 2bd/2ba apartment.
9. Shampoo, lotion, bath gel, paper products, detergent, and kitchen soap and assorted cleansers are provided. We did not have to replenish anything.
10. The kitchen is fully equipped. There is also a big gigantic, manmouth, stainless steel grill, just waiting to be used. It's so big you could get about 10-20 hamburgers on it at one-time.
11. Beach chairs, beach loungers, and beach towels were provided.
12. No need to bring a bunch of clothes, there is a washer and dryer in the unit. This could easily be the vacation that only requires you bring carry-on luggage.
13. We were even "fitted" for bicycles to ride on the beach.
14. This property has an elevator.
15. The beach has birds on it. I was intriguied by them as they would dive into the water or the waves and feed themselves. Being from Ohio some of these birds I have never seen before, nor could I identify them. We're talking way beyond your basic seagull...
We went to three restaurants (some twice) during our stay. There appears to be some healthy competition between eateries, which worked in our favor. Each restaurant prided itself on its specialities inlcuding: home-made turtle cheescake, the best mojito I've ever had, house greens with champagne vinegarette, lump-meat crab and spinach-stuffed grouper, home-made italian wedding soup ( a northeast Ohio favorite) and pan-seared scallops.
While the beach water is not Carribean Blue it gets very, very, warm. It is so warm that by mid-afternoon you may be heading back to the White Cap swimming pool to cool off.
I recommend this place for family's, as a 2bd/2ba unit can sleep 6 people; one bedroom has a queen, the other has bunk beds, and there's a pull-out sofa in the living room. I also recommend it for Chik-Trips with a 4-person limit. We stayed in unit 202B. The bunk-beds in this unit are full on the bottom and twin on top.
Oh, don't depend upon The Trolley take a cab to get to where you need to go.
What I liked best is the secluded location. What I disliked is that I wish I could have stayed for ten days or more. There are so many other things to do including shark-fishing, a day-trip to Key-West and shopping!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC