If you are staying in Santa Monica, this is probably the best hotel. It is right on the beach, has a small pool, a great lobby with a jazz trio playing every evening at 6, and great rooms with very high four-post beds. The room I received had a great Ocean View. I also commend some of the staff, including the person at the front desk who gave us great recommendations for late night dining for Asian food. The free car service to nearby restaurants was also great. We purposely reserved this hotel as a means to recover from three days in Disneyland.
So all should be well, but there was something that was acutely uncomfortable about this hotel. The clientele tends to be quite well off people and this leads to quite a "country clubby" atmosphere. This is the type of place where if you do not dress the part (i.e., wear "resort wear" or long pants in the evening or undertake some other act commensurate with your station or level of wealth or whatever), you may get some looks from guests as well as hotel staff. I like staying in nice places, but I also like to revel in the lap of luxury while I wear sandals and shorts. Any hotel with an "esteemed" clientele could not be blamed for this, but I do fault some of the staff also. I got the feeling that I was being judged by my appearance which determined the level of service or help they provided. I don't think this applied to all of the employees, but it wasn't the case where this snootiness applied to just one or two persons.
Santa Monica was a great place to visit and I believe I would come back to Santa Monica, but I don't believe I would come back to this property.
I saw some children at the cafe during breakfast, and there is a bath toy in the form of a whale which is placed in the bathroom, as well as a yo yo and juggling beanbags. Other than this, there is no other element of the hotel which could be deemed child-friendly.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel Santa Monica
- Shutters Beach
- Shutters On The Beach Hotel
- Shutters Santa Monica
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shutters on the Beach is more than just a spectacular place to stay, it’s the epitome of Southern California’s breezy lifestyle. This captivating hotel is located directly on the sand and within walking distance of the area’s biggest attractions including the Santa Monica Pier and hundreds of shops and restaurants. For business or pleasure, this quintessential beachfront hideaway is known as the place the high-profile go to be low-profile. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LHW, Travelocity, Olotels, Otel, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Shutters on the Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.