I made a mistake. I generally find Embassy Suites to be very good places to stay, and I didn't bother checking TripAdvisor. TripAdvisor rates this hotel #18 out of 22 in Palm Desert - not too good. The hotel doesn't fit the usual Embassy Suites mold of a multistory hotel surrounding an enclosed area. This hotel has three stories surrounding a pool and an activity center, which they use for the evening reception and the buffet breakfast in the morning. The front desk person told me that the hotel had been purchased in the 1980's from some other hotel chain and was converted to an Embassy Suites. My guess is that it was formerly something like a Best Western, moderate quality and ambiance.
The price at this Embassy Suites was roughly $50 more than I paid at a very nice Embassy Suites adjacent to LAX the night before. In addition to being pricey and not very nice, there were a litany of issues. First off, the key card to our room did not work the first time; back to the desk to get a new set of key cards. No bottled water was provided (I am a HiltonHonors member, and they usually provide bottled water upon check in for HiltonHonors members). There was no bedding for the sleeper sofa, which my teen age daughter subsequently described as the worst bed she had ever slept in (no teen age drama here, of course). There was no way to control the room temperature, even though the thermostat registered tenths of degrees. The room was going to be 73.6 degrees, like it or not. In the bathroom, the grout in the bath tub tile was half clean looking and half discolored by mildew. Yuck! The reception area felt like a college dorm commons area. To give you an idea of the clientele, the woman behind me in line for the breakfast buffet helped herself to some of the tip money when the chef wasn't looking. Later in the day, the maid only managed to provide two sets of towels for the three of us staying in the room a second night. By then I was too annoyed to make another trip to the front desk and just made do with whatever we had. The employees generally did not make eye contact and make one feel welcome. If this was a Super8 Motel, I would have rated it as average. Since I expect a lot more from an Embassy Suites, I can only rate it as poor.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Hotel Palm Desert Palm Desert
- Embassy Suites Palm Desert
- Palm Desert Embassy Suites
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Embassy Suites Palm Desert hotel - where outstanding accommodations and superb hospitality await you in the heart of beautiful Palm Desert, California! Guests of the Embassy Suites Palm Desert hotel enjoy their stay in one of our 198 spacious two-room hotel suites, complimentary cook to order breakfast, complimentary wine and beer Manager's Reception in the Evengins, with either majestic mountain or lush courtyard view. Each of our Palm Desert hotel suites is equipped with a range of amenities, designed to make your stay with us in Palm Desert, CA as comfortable and enjoyable as possible! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Embassy Suites Hotel Palm Desert Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.