I was searching for a special way to commemorate my 50th birthday and the Stanford Inn has for quite a while been near the top of my list of places I hoped to visit. Having read the reviews beforehand I was really looking forward to learning what this legendary place was really like. I can honestly say that it exceeded my expectations. What most impressed me was the pretty location near the ocean, and the absolutely beautiful grounds. However I was also pleasantly surprised by the room itself which was absolutely spotless - very, very clean. That kind of thing is important to me and I was very satisfied. The beds were quite comfortable, especially based on some of the lesser reviews. They were firm which I prefer and everything seemed very clean and presentable. Generally I would say that the place has a very well-attended woodland charm. Ivy tumbling from every beam and fresh flowers simply everywhere you looked. The natural cedar-framed walkways were very soothing and inviting. It is a very peaceful place. We had a room near the Inn's main entrance and it had a very pretty view of the gardens and of the ocean. We could watch the llamas reclining under their tree and watch the crows endlessly play in the tree tops. The pool and spa were quite nice. The pool is large and I completed quite a few laps which was invigorating. The jacuzzi was surrounded by flowers and very peaceful. We were surprised and delighted to hear of the complimentary cake and tea/coffee in the afternoon. The vegan carrot cake was outstanding. My birthday dinner was quite good and the cake was excellent. I really appreciated our server Zach. He was quite pleasant and made us feel very welcome. My only regret is for having made the reservation for one night. It is not the kind of place that you want to rush through but we did our best to absorb the Stanford Inn's many charms in the short time that we had.
- Also Known As:
- Stanford Inn By The Sea Hotel
- Stanford Inn By The Sea Hotel Mendocino
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on a hillside, the exquisite Stanford Inn sits atop a meadow overlooking Mendocino Bay. Embodying the best of the rugged Mendocino Coast, the Inn is a haven. The rambling lobby, guest rooms, and suites are paneled in pine and redwood. Every detail is attended to, from wood-burning fireplaces set and ready to light to the sumptuous organic breakfasts. Inspired by the Stanford's Certified Organic gardens, The Ravens' restaurant is outstanding and nationally acclaimed for its vegetarian cuisine. Guests are indulged at the Inn's Massage in the Forest and private yoga sessions. Canoeing and kayaking on Big River, California's new State Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Stanford Inn by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.