(Based on my May 2011 trip, so no knowledge on renovations.)
I enjoyed my two stays (one for Shanghai, one for transit back to the US) in May. The only late-night or morning noise that I experienced was some kids playing table tennis around 11 pm or so. I stayed in a first-floor dorm room in the back (by the table tennis) and slept well, though I agree that the beds are a little hard. I thought the tiny shelf (with reading light? I might be misremembering) that they attached to the wall for each of the dorm beds was a great touch. Dorm room was fairly decent size, pretty good light, and both the bathroom and dorm room were very clean, though the bathroom floor became very wet by the evening.
I didn't use the terrace much, but used the first floor sitting area, with room for ~10 people, quite a bit. Found it to be a nice area for meeting people, along with the larger 'lobby' area and, I assume, the terrace. I had my own computer, so didn't use Le Tour's, but there are three computers available in the sitting area for internet. Didn't really interact with the staff all that much aside from say good morning and goodnight, but everyone seemed friendly and efficient. Also, I didn't really think the place was that gloomy, it is nice and open on the first floor, and there is a tiny atrium of sorts that adds a nice touch.
The location to me is a key selling point. Jing'An metro is a short walk, and I relied almost exclusively on the metro for getting around (and to great success); there are also some good breakfast options along the route to the metro, as well as a couple of 'quick stop' places (including a bona fide 7-Eleven, which was... curious) for drinks and snacks. It's particularly a great location for getting back to Pudong Airport; there are direct buses right next to the Jing'An subway station. However, you'll notice here a lack of any reference to proximity to Shanghai nightlife, so you may want to consult other reviews if that's of importance to you.
All in all, a very solid budget option, would be happy to go back.
- Also Known As:
- Le Tour Traveler`s Rest Youth Hotel Shanghai
- Le Tour Traveler`s Rest Youth Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Tour Traveler’s Rest Youth Hostel is located in the downtown area of Shanghai and is just 10 minute’s walk from the Subway (Line 2 and Line 7) (JingAn Temple Station and Airport City Terminal). Shanghai Exhibition Centre, Paramount Entertainment and former French Concession are all within walking distance. 5-minute's walk from the subway Line 7 - ChangPing Road Station, which leads directly to Shanghai EXPO Park.Nearby Nanjing West Road is a busy main road with offices, shops, restaurants and pubs. However the hostel is set back in a quiet residential side street away from the hustle and bustle. The building itself was built in the 1930s and is a former Towel Factory that used to supply towels to almost every family in China. When renovating the building we tried to salvage and re-use as much as we could from the old building – much of the furniture, flooring and panelling that you see in our guest rooms and common areas are made from the original timber.We accepts ISIC, IYTC, ITIC, HI Hostel card, Hostelworld VIP Card, … as our membership cards. We can offer accommodation in double rooms, twin rooms, apartment rooms and shared single-sex dormitories. The hostel offers a lively, vibrant atmosphere and has a Café and Bar, 24 hour access, free internet, bike hire, laundry, luggage lockers, garden, TV/DVD lounge, Table Tennis, Billiards and a quiet reading room. Also, at our reception there is a Travel Center, where customers can book flight and train tickets, as well as tickets for local one day tours and acrobatics shows, and much more besides… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, HostelWorld, HostelBookers, Ctrip DaoDao, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Tingo so you can book your Le Tour Traveler's Rest Youth Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.