Hidden away at the end of a small road, just opposite Holiday Road in Calangute, you will find the Ocean Palms Resort Hotel. The hotel has just completed its first season, and I hope I have the good fortune to be able to stay there again as it was a real joy, and a breath of fresh air amongst the old 2 star establishments we all know and have stayed in time and again.
The Ocean Palms styles itself as a 4 star hotel, and knowing Goa standards we were a bit wary of expecting too much, but all our fears were put away when we arrived at this lovely hotel.
The hotel is new, well set out, and very well run. Reception is staffed 24/7 and the staff are very warm and friendly, as are most Goans, nothing is too much trouble.
Upon arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink, and checked in by the reception staff. Our bags had been carried from the bus and delivered straight to our room, so all we had to do take the lift up to our 1st floor room and relax.
There are two styles of rooms at the hotel. We opted for a "basic double" instead of the "suite", and as we were booked through Cosmos, via Monarch Direct, we expected the usual "bog-standard room and toilet" found in many other hotels we have used in the past.
I must say that I was shocked at what we found. The room was absolutely magnificent.
Although we did not have a pool view, or much else to look at, the room was much more than we anticipated, and considering what we paid, we were very happy indeed. The room had floor to ceiling windows on two sides, as it was a corner room, which let the sunshine flood the room with light. This was kept to a cool temperature by the air-conditioning unit, which could freeze a polar bear. There was a fridge in the room with freezer for ice, tea and coffee making facilities, electronic safe-deposit box, iron and ironing board, king-size bed, 42 inch Plasma HDMI tv, and the furnishings were top notch. The room also had bed-side lamps, dressing table lights, and variable mood lighting. The bathroom was very spacious, as was the bedroom, and was fitted out with Italian-style fixtures and fittings. In all, the room deserved its four-star status, as did the rest of the hotel. I looked at the "suite rooms", most of which face the pool and have large balconies and living rooms, I must say that for an extra Tenner-a-night it would have been well worth the upgrade. However, we were very happy with the room we had.
The rooms are cleaned daily, and new bed-linen and towels are available each day if you choose. Room service is provided, at no extra charge, and the standard of the food is very high. Breakfast, which is also included in the room price, is varied and plentiful and caters for the European and Indian palate. The bar and restaurant are spotlessly clean, well staffed, and well managed. This hotel is a real jewel in the crown for Calangute and leaves the others in its wake.
Do yourself a favour and book a suite here, it will cost £20 / night for two of you, the add-ons offered by the other hotels are all included in the room price here, you will save buckets of cash and have a wonderful stay. My only gripe? The pool is a bit too small for me, but we were at the beach all day, so it made no difference.
Try booking direct with the hotel through the web-site, you will get a much better deal, and now that Qatar Airways are flying from Manchester to Goa, via Doha, at very good rates you can have luxury all the way at no extra cost to the normal package deal.
JUST A FEW WORDS OF WARNING:
Street Muggings are on the increase in Calangute and Candolim, and are at an average of 2 - 3 per day. The reps will tell you to beware, but my advice to the ladies is dont carry shoulder bags, or bags with long straps. The thieves race past on motorbikes and hook the bags off your shoulder, sometimes dragging you along the street in doing so, we know because it happened to us. No injuries, or theft, this time but it is very un-nerving when it happens, and its over in seconds. For the young ones, also be warned about sex attacks. These go largely unreported for some strange reason, but are reported on local news on tv, there were a couple reported whilst we were there. If you use a bit of common-sense all should be ok, dont let it put you off.
I am booking my next trip to Goa direct with Ocean Palms, and flying Qatar Airways, and I am counting the "sleeps" until we go back.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Palms Goa Hotel Calangute
- Ocean Palms Goa Hotel
- Ocean Palms Goa Calangute
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With global warming being a key concern, significant investments are being made in green technologies to reduce carbon foot prints across the world. Ocean Palms Goa too is a part of the drive. A 4-star eco-friendly resort, it is located in Calangute. Ocean Palms offers an affordable quality to business and leisure travellers alike. Blending the intimacy of home with modern amenities, the facilities at this child friendly resort include well appointed air-conditioned rooms, conferencing facilities, a swimming pool, a lounge bar, multi-cuisine restaurant, spa, and fitness services. The resort is located in a quite area of the main road. So you can enjoy a peaceful stay; at the same time it is hop-skip-and-jump away from popular tourists spots. Ocean Palms gives guest the best of both worlds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Ocean Palms Goa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.