My wife and I traveled for a break from the hectic schedule of daily life - 4 days and 3 nights -Overall experience was pretty good. More details below:
- About 10 minute walk to the nearest beach. It wasn't the "main" Calangute beach, but more like the southern fringes of the beach. In any case, if you're looking for a quick beach outing and lounging around in a shack, that's a lazy 10 minute walk away
- 20 minutes of walking will land you in Calangute beach. That's where you find a much larger crowd and the bustling Calangute area suddenly emerges. You can walk along the beach or go along the main road to do some window shopping or grab a nice cold yoghurt along the way
- 40 minutes of walking along the beach will land you in the relatively quiet Baga beach area.
- The hotel is in an inside lane, leading to the main road. Helps provide a quiet setting, if that's what you're looking for.
Quite efficient. Reception folks were warm and welcoming. The lobby was well-airconditioned, which added to the welcome feel of the place.
We stayed in one of the suites, with breakfast included in the package. It was definitely a good choice in comparison to a standard room.
- Two televisions allowed for "peaceful" coexistence where I could watch my daily dose of sports and news while the wife dug into all the daily soaps!
- Bathroom was functional - nothing amazing. If you're looking for a bathtub, you won't find it here. Shower was amazing though - good water pressure and constant supply of hot water, if you prefer your showers that way
- Bed was comfortable for a good night's sleep
- Living room - sofa was nothing memorable - very basic without adequate cushioning. The wooden framework ensured that you couldn't really laze around by lying on the couch.
- Balconies - A big plus of the suite was the two balconies it provided you with - one from the living room and one from the bedroom. Balconies had 2 chairs, but surprisingly no table - so if you're sitting there looking to enjoy the cool winter breeze over a beverage of choice, with your companion, it's not ideal.
- Food was good but not amazing. Thankfully, the price points were very manageable, so if you're looking to just laze around instead of going out, it won't pinch your pockets to have a meal or two in the hotel.
- Small swimming pool area but a clean one. Small enclosed area for kids to have a safe swimming experience.
- Small recreational area providing table tennis, foosball, and table hockey
- Spa: small but functional
- Gym - A couple of cardio machines and some weights, in case you really want to work off those pounds during your trip
BIGGEST PLUS POINT
- definitely the staff - very courteous and eager to please. This was quite evident in their f&b section - we had some issues with our gravy in one of the meals. The chef, who was walking around the restaurant, promptly instructed the staff to provide us with some chicken curry gravy , complimentary.
BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT AREA
- We found housekeeping to be a little sloppy in it's work. A few examples to highlight this
a) On the first day, we accidentally dropped one of the glasses in the bathroom. After carefully picking up the pieces from the floor, we kept the broken glass on the counter, expecting housekeeping to take care of it. Surprisingly enough, we went through our entire stay with that broken glass just lying there. It would be a nightmare for anybody traveling with little kids. I am sure a simple phone call to housekeeping would have taken care of it, but it's not something you expect them to overlook consistently.
b) We felt that housekeeping was done in a hurried manner at times -- side-tables a little crooked, newspapers not neatly folded away and put on the table -- small things like this which can add up to the more discerning traveler, stood out as signs of inefficiency and attention
Overall good trip - I would recommend people to this hotel. Hotels can get very expensive in Goa. Ocean Palms provides a good value for money with some excellent service to make your trip a memorable one.
Suite is a must, if it works for your budget. Don't need to have a pool-facing room - in fact we...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
14 March 2012
Report response as inappropriate
Team Ocean Palms thanks you for your comments. We are delighted you are mostly happy with your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.
We appreciate your highlighting a shortcoming in our services and assure you that we have taken corrective measures so that it does not repeat again.
Anil Singh Rathore
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC