We stayed here for 4 nights - it was truly fantastic. The resort was not quite what I was expecting. I was thinking along the lines of stilt houses off the beach of an island whereas this is a collection of stilt houses connected by a lot of walkways built on a sandbar in the middle of the sea! It's difficult to describe until you go there, but it is certainly one of the most unusual and spectacular places that I have stayed.
There are any number of positives about this resort - friendliness and efficiency of staff, spectacular location, proximity of wonderful diving, quality of the chalets. Aside from all the brilliant dives, the memories that will stick with me are: 1) sitting on our chalet's private deck and watching parrot fish, lion fish and barracuda swim right by while a couple of turtles were surfacing a little further away and 2) relaying in the evening on the sundeck/helipad with a beer while watching 5 lightning storms occur simultaneously on the horizon while the milky way was in clear view overhead (a novelty when you live in Singapore!).
On the slight downside - as mentioned in a previous review, the vegetarian options are not very extensive (an issue for my wife - I ate like a horse on all the fresh seafood). Also, I am not the most experienced diver, having done 9 dives by the time I arrived here. The majority of people on the dive trips were much more experienced and so I found myself relying on my buddy much more than on the divemaster. This was not a problem as such, but I would advise that if you are diving here as a novice, to take a good buddy and a computer.
In general though, this is a brilliant place to stay and to dive.
- Also Known As:
- Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Hotel Pulau Sipadan
- Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Hotel
- Sipadan Kapalai Island Hotel
- Hotel Sipadan Kapalai Island
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few minutes by boat from the islands of Sipadan and Mabul but a full world away from it lays the exhilarating Sipadan-Kapalai Dive Resort, sitting on its sturdy stilts on the shallow sandbanks of Ligitan Reefs. Planned and built in full style as an airy, comfortable, sunny water village with no land in sight, it boasts a mile-long sandbank of powdery white sand where one can suntan at complete leisure while gazing out to the miles of brilliant turquoise stretching into the horizon offering the purest image of natural serenity. Dive spots, Sipadan and Mabul can be reached in just a few minutes by speedboat. Sipadan-Kapalai is an ideal destination for diver and non-diver alike seeking a great holiday experience. ... more less